Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Shift Happens - Employment, Teaching and Technology

Shift Happens - Technology, Teaching and Employment


How do you think this is going to impact you personally and how might this impact education (both as a teacher and as a future or potential parent)? What does it make you think about and what does this mean for literacy and literature?

56 comments:

KaraE said...

-It is natural that we're moving forward and changing. We've been teaching in traditional ways of chalkboard and chalk tablets, to dry erase boards and note taking, to powerpoints, to ANGEL and other sites, to blogging for classes. The shift is very apparent. The time spent watching tv and playing video games, communicating by phone, text, IM; these hours I do not believe to be wasteful or negative to our society. This is a new form of communication that can be compared to a pre-technologic form of reading books, writing letters, etc. While the physical act of reading and writing is changing, with few exceptions, I do not believe the quality of the activity is changing negatively. There has always been concern for overuse of abbreviated words that have quickly come into popular use (LOL, TTYL, etc.) Shortened words in text messages are for obvious reasons, limits of 160 characters, so of course I'll abbreviate when I can: about becomes abt, tomorrow becomes tom. Though these abbreviations are used often, the meaning behind the abbreviations are not lost. I don't say 'tom' when I write/read it, I say tomorrow. The meaning is there. I would never imply that these abbreviations should be accepted in student work. At school we emphasize Standard English, and encourage the use of this language in speaking, writing and reading. The physical practice and nature of the act of reading and writing, and speaking even, is changing, but the quality of it I do not see to be changing in a way in which we should be concerned. I think we should embrace the new technology that is forever becoming better, more advanced, and helpful.
-Instead of altering the language or the techniques (the physical process of writing, reading) that we use in traditional schooling, I think we should use not only the traditional ways in which our generation has been still taught, but also heavily include a technological aspect of teaching. Much like in this class, we are using blogs, angel, becoming familiar with computers, with type, through classes. Research has changed over the years, much more is available at our fingertips. Teaching only old ways of researching (library books, periodicals, etc.) is a joke. Making a requirement that you must use some sort of hard copy research material wouldn't be though. Allowing technology into the classroom only betters the students for preparation for the future. Books, in years, may be all converted to electronic format- think of the space, trees, everything we'd save: Don't get me wrong, I love hard copy books and I normally print things to read them opposed to reading them on the screen. Highlighting, Underlining, note taking, is all easier for me this way- but this is in my opinion. Giving students a variety of options I think will be key in the future.
-The information presented of how many different jobs that students are expected to hold (10+) demands a varietal way of teaching, subjects taught, and techniques used and taught with respect to reading and writing. With all this variety expected in a child's life, variety needs to be used in the classroom. We prepare children for the real world, and real life situations- so we need to change, shift, our instruction to adapt to these new technological ways of living. We shouldn't throw away traditional ways of teaching and ways of doing activities, not everything has to involve computers, the internet, etc; but that aspect definitely needs to be featured in classrooms to better prepare students for their lives. Computers and technology should be addressed as a tool for learning.
-In conclusion (sorry for the stream of consciousness), the advancements that we're exponentially experiencing through technology need to be addressed and taught in classrooms for the sake of a student's future and their ability to actively participate in society down the road. Technology is forever changing, and so our curriculum and teaching techniques need to be constantly changing as well.

burtnath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
burtnath said...

The One Laptop Per Child or (OLPC) is a fascinating concept, albeit a problematic and not altogether functional one. In essence it strives to provide every child in the world who lives in poverty that cannot afford the nicety to be connected to the rest of the world via their computer a chance to own one and remain so. According to "Shift Happens" this is an astonishing number of 2 billion kids which I'm sure grows daily. While the idea is interesting I think it will be difficult (although their mission statement says it includes this goal) to maintain an internet connection without access, it will be problematic to have a computer battery remain charged when many people from impoverished areas don't have the luxury of running electricity and, again, while the official website speaks to this problem, each child does not speak the same language so language barriers, across the world become phenomenally challenging. While the idea of a non-profit organization providing these services is nice and comforting and evokes the nice feelings that non-profits are supposed to, the logistics seem daunting.

As for the rest of the video in terms of the data it provides and how that may effect me as a teacher I think it opens up boundless opportunities for me to teach my students about the surrounding world. Anything they could want to know about another country or culture is literally at the tip of their fingers as long as they have a computer and internet access at their disposal. It requires me as a teacher to guide students' interest without remaining Ameri-centric, heterocentric, phallocentric or white-centric (I'm sure there's a word for this, I just can't think of it off the top of my head) in my teachings. By restricting myself to these guidelines I am restricting the potential outstanding growth in learning and knowledge my students can have. The tools are there, I just have to use them.

Danielle said...

I believe that these dramatic changes in society were inevitable, and are still today. Aspects of life change rapidly everyday, whether it is noticed or not. There are many people in the world today that are afraid of the idea of change and seek to avoid these ideas at all cost. However, change is an unavoidable part of life. Everyday something changes, rather it be someones routine, technology or another way of life. The time that people spend on the computer, whether it be for computer games, writing an email, doing homework, etc...is beneficial, in my opinion. This is because working with computers is becoming an aspect of daily life for many, if not most people. It is necessary to gain the skills of being able to use a computer at an early age because in the future it will become required for job positions. Other aspects of technology, like the television, video games, telephone and more, are also parts of life that will forever be changing, and "improving." Whether people realize it or not, changes are occurring every moment, and will continue to do so.
-In regards to education, change is continuous. Educators attend semiars and conferences on different aspects of teaching so they are able to learn ways of teaching that may be more beneficial to their students. Not only do ways of teaching change, but with each year that one will be an educator, it is nearly certain that the students within their classrooms will change and with this may come new styles of teaching if it is necessary. No matter what profession one is in, in today's world, aspects of it will change as each year, month, week, or even day passes us by, this is an inevitable aspect of life.

Rachel Sager said...

On a personal level, I’m not sure how large of an impact this will have on my life. I am in a field where there will always be a demand for my skills. Every to go to school and learn. I am special education major and a science minor so I feel especially useful in times like these where math and science are valuable subjects. At the same time though, the idea of a computer possibly having a higher capacity for knowledge than the human brain implies that maybe a human teacher will not be needed one day.

On a more broad level such as education, I think the growth and use of technology can be good and bad. It can be good in that teachers have a more convenient way of staying connected with their students via the web. I think items that we are using right now at MSU like Angel make for a good classroom forum. At the same time, these items are not perfect and fail, causing panic amongst students. Not having hard copies of homework or not having direct contact with students and teachers is not beneficial for a learning environment. Also technology is expensive. Not everyone students has the means of having access to computers.

I think it’s great that we are discovering new things every day, which creates a lot of jobs and makes for a better economy. At the same time though, I agree with the makers of the video when they pose the question, “How long will these last?” Even in high school, I remember my teachers telling me, “Scientists hadn’t discovered this when I was in school.” We go through 12 (and if some of us are lucky, 16 years plus) school to learn what we need to know so we can go out in the real world to be successful, but now I am starting to think that we will never learn it all, we will never know enough.

When we place technology next to literature in our world today, technology wins. Technology is convenient and as the video claimed, where were all those questions directed to before Google? At the same time, basic literature should still be important in basic K-12 education. It is important for reading to be the foundation of education. Once reading can be accomplished, technology should be used, but not relied upon. Reading, regardless of how old someone is, helps improve writing skills, the use of an imagination, and it helps people relax while learning. One cannot say the same for myspace, or cell phones, or facebook, or youtube.

Kimberly C. said...

I believe the current shift in technology is affecting me everyday. I have taken three online classes in the past two semesters. This is a relatively new concept to the education system, but who’s to say this will not be replaced in the next few years. With technology improving exponentially, I would not be surprised if my children will be learning from a new form of technology. As the video stated, students are already being prepared for jobs and technologies that don’t exist yet.

The improvement in technology will also affect my future career. I am currently majoring in special education with a major in math. However, high schools are already experimenting with online classes. It seems as though the government feels they can replace teachers in order to cut costs. This may be true but I firmly believe that students can learn better from an experienced individual, with whom they can form a personal relationship. It is predicted that a computer will soon have more intelligence than the human brain, but what they lack are the personal experiences that form this knowledge. A teacher in the classroom is able to share their experiences as examples to the students, and encourage the students to look at their own experiences to assist their knowledge. This is something a computer cannot accomplish.

Although an online class may contain literature on it’s webpage, it is not the same as opening up a book. In elementary school, students learn the components of a book. They begin to familiarize themselves with the location of the title, author, publisher, table of contents, etc. If a student were to begin their education with an online class, I feel they would be lost. Especially at a younger age, children need guidance, which once again, a computer cannot offer.

I do see the benefits of an increase in technology. One no longer has to search through an endless amount of encyclopedias in order to gain information. They can simply find their answer on Google within seconds. However, this also decreases a person’s social skills. This is a negative affect of technology that is not often talked about. You hear about technology affecting resources, capital, and employment, but it also hinders one’s ability to improve their social skills. People wonder how information was gathered before the Internet. My response to that is people were social. One would simply go to their friends, family, or elders when they had a question. The person would then use his or her own personal experiences to answer the question. I know this sounds like our grandparents talking about “way back when,” but this is how information was gathered, by listening to one another and passing it down from generation to generation. Technology may be improving business corporations but I do not believe all of it is helping our education system.

AmiI said...

You can’t slow things down. You can’t rewind or take back what has already happened; the only option is to move forward, the only question is how fast are we moving? I would agree that things have to change, that the development in technology was not all negative and that we shouldn’t fear what we have accomplished. However, it is overwhelming to think that these technological leaps and bounds we have made will soon control the world. That countries double and triple in size each year,and that what we know now will in a matter of years become obsolete. It is extremely tiring to view things from the perspective of a constant game of catch up. What about my children? Will they have to fight 5 times as hard as I will to find a job that can not be controlled by a computer, will art and history become overshadowed by mathematics and computer courses? As much as I enjoy and respect the technology that is present, I also feel that at some points we are too much controlled by our own inventions. I feel as if communication is a simple matter of technology now, and finding true human relations is harder and harder to do. Could it be that our great advances in technology are actually hindering our advances in other aspects of our lives? It terrifies me to think that we can not predict the growth of our future as they have in the past, because there is too much evolution to fast to accurately determine what could be. What we may predict to happen ten years from now may in reality exist in the next nine months. I understand that change must happen and I will not oppose it, but are we risking so much more by making change happen so fast?

Erica S said...

I really enjoy this video because it shows how much our world has changed over the years. Change is something that sometimes needs to happen and in some ways I think it is good change. I mean communicating with people has become a lot easier. I live far from my parents and I love being able to call or e-mail them whenever I want. But then I think have we just become lazier over the years? People my age would not know because life has always been this way for us.

It makes me sad to see how much 21 year olds have played videos games and watched TV. I know I probably do it also, but it still makes me think that it’s wasted time. These people could be doing much better things with their lives. They could be hanging out with their friends or family or reading a book. That is why I think the changes over the years are a bad thing because technology is taking over people lives. People are spending way too much time with technology.

Technology has made my education easier. I can look up a word on my laptop in two seconds or Google a topic I am confused about. I have no idea what technology will bring for future students. I can guess that there will be more and more people participating in online classes. I also have no idea how it will affect my career as a special education teacher. When I worked in a special education classroom in high school a lot of the students used computers because it was easier for them to type and communicate that way. AGAIN technology makes things easier and I still do not know if this is good or bad.

Christine C said...

Wow, it is really amazing to me that we will have computers with the ability to produce more than the human brain.
I think that it will become more and more challenging for teachers to entertain children because they have spent so much time on the internet and playing video games. It will be hard to interest them in learning through traditional methods. I also think that students will become more trained to use computers and technology. For example, assignments will be more focused online, including research and submission. Furthermore, students will need to learn how to think critically, and as a teacher, I think it will be important to create more hands-on learning. I think that it will become more common to have audio books and books online. However, for children, I think it will be still be important to read from a book because it is more engaging, and they will want to look at pictures, etc.
I also found it interesting that students are being prepared for jobs that have not been created yet. As a teacher, I will not to challenge my students to think out of the box, so that in their future job, they will be able to do so to compete with the job market and the world market.

RachelD said...

I really liked this video. It caused me to think about technology’s impacts both on a universal level and also how I use it on a daily basis. Technology is becoming more and more incorporated into our daily lives. When they were talking about how the number of words in English has substantially increased really surprised me. That’s not something I would normally pay attention to. Especially because a lot of them have to do with different types of technologies shows how much of an impact they have on society.

In the future this will affect education because as a teacher we will have to understand how to use technologies that will further a student’s learning but also to recognize the impacts it has on an individual. Also as parents we will have to learn how to relate to our children when they’re using certain technologies that we aren’t familiar with.

I think a good example of how we can see some of the impacts of it in literacy and literature is with Amazon’s electronic book the kindle. You no longer need a physical paper book but rather are connected to thousands of novels with the push of a button.

Josh P said...

The first time I watched this video I caught myself saying "wow" several times. The thing that surprised me the most was the rapidity of our advancements. It makes me wonder when and if we will ever reach a peak in technology. If not, then life in a mere 20 years could be like something straight from the Jetsons.

Anyway, this affects me directly as a future educator. Although I think that books will always (or at least throughout my lifetime)be around in our society, technology will work its way into classrooms year by year. I have experienced it throughout my time in grade school. I witnessed the progression from the green and black screened computers in the classrooms to the Dell desktops. I saw the overhead pushed aside in favor of the projected Powerpoint. I have not had the opportunity to use one, but I have seen what a SMART Board is capable of and it is impressive to say the least. I need to become acquainted with every new piece of technology that becomes available to me if I want to provide my students with the best opportunity to compete in the global society that the video portrayed. Being in the field of special education, I will see some of my students with new devices every fall and it is my duty to learn about these new tools .

As far as a being a parent, I will want the absolute best for my child which will mean preparing them with technological skills. I am going to make sure that from an early age, my children have exposure to the latest technology (age appropriate, of course) and gain experience. However, I will not be surprised if my child is teaching me things by the time he or she is in high school.

As everyday life becomes easier, I am worried that it may simplify educational staples such as reading and writing. Of course students will need to know how to read in order to understand web pages and such, but who knows? What if every computer will come with text reading software? If everything is typed, will handwriting be as rare as writing with a quill pen and ink is today? Books are already available through audio; will this trend slowly phase out printing altogether? Will the general population still read and write on a daily basis if it isn't necessary? In a "right now" society where everything is demanded ASAP, I am worried for literacy and literature.

But that last paragraph was written with a somber tone, somewhat giving off the feeling that technology would one day take us over. If we continue to embrace and value the norms of education that we currently do, technology could place the world's literacy leaps and bounds ahead of what it is now. I think that it can go either way; good or bad. It just depends on which way our advancements take us.

Jordan S said...

I believe the act of technology progress is inevitable. Everyone has always been trying to make everyday life processes easier by using technology. While I am a techno-optimist to a certain extent I do believe there are definitely revenge effects of technology. In an education setting the amazing technological progresses may make it easier for students to get immediate information on any subject they wish to learn more about, but as a revenge effect there is more plagiarism due to the amount of resources offered online for students. I believe the use of internet resources for papers is useful but at the same time I believe there should be requirements for the use of written books so students still know how to use a library in case they need to use one someday. Many adults believe that children waste several hours of computer time but in turn I don't believe this is wasted time because it is enhancing their computer skills which in time will be needed for every job. The amount of printed books will decrease and more books will be available online for parent's and student's use. The amount of online classes will probably increase with the technological progress and will broaden the amount of classes a person may take.

One thing I found amazing from the video was the One Laptop Per Child program because I have never heard of this and I believe this is a very good idea. This will help third world countries increase their availability to outside resources and just with basic computer skills a person is better qualified for multiple jobs.

Ryan M said...

After watching this presentation, it is clear to me that the advancements in technology have not only affect our lives, but will continue to be a factor for the rest of my lifetime as well as my children's. You can also see how technology has had an impact on the way classes are being taught. Chalk boards are becoming a thing of the past, while the internet seems to be a new age way of teaching a lesson. Overhead projector machines have been forced out of the classroom to make room for Power Point presentations. It is not only scary to think about what kind of technologies are going to come out this year, let alone what it is going to be like in 20 years.
For me the advancements in technologies have given teachers the opportunity to engage their students in a variety of new ways. Kids no longer have to do worksheets everyday, they can now go on the internet and find activities that deal with every subject including math, science, reading, and writing. So as time continues to move along and the shifts in technology continues, new ways of learning are going to be created. Before the internet you had to look up facts in encyclopedias, now there are thousands of sources on the internet that can give you answers. This presentation was able to point out that the world we live in has come a long way, and still large changes are happening not only in the united states, but all over the world.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

As a student growing up in the 21st century I have been exposed to so many new technologies. Personally, I feel that all of these new ways of learning have significantly helped me in a positive way. Although certain ways of learning are becoming outdated, students as well as teachers are certainly not suffering from this.

Communication has become significantly easier due to the internet as well as social networking sites. Students are exposed to a wide range of ways to learn material other than what has been beneficial for years. Educational computer games, websites, etc. are all available.

I do think that these new technologies will and have taken away from the traditional ways of teaching, especially by books. Children are used to playing video games, computer games, and watching television. I believe it will become significantly more difficult to keep students active and interested in school without incorporating these technologies into the system. When I was in elementary school and middle school we used books for almost everything. Once I reached high school, technology had become a much larger concept. Instead of using dictionaries or encyclopedias to find the answer to something, I simply googled it. Therefore, I have already been working with technology for awhile. It has been easy to adjust to these new opportunities because technology has been constantly changing throughout my entire school career. I am used to it. By the time I become a teacher, I am sure that my students will be used to these methods of learning. After all, they have grown up in a more technologically advanced society than even I have. Ways of learning information are becoming more popular quicker than ever before, according to the video.

The video really highlighted what I think many people already know. The world is changing in terms of communication as well as education. We are becoming increasingly more aware of new information. We are learning at a faster pace than ever before. This will be extremely beneficial for students in the future. Yes, it may be possible for students to better learn to read and write using technology, but I truly believe that books are the main tool when it comes to literacy. Technology can only supplement the ideas and concepts that children gain from reading an actual book.

"Old fashioned" ways of learning will never completely go away. I feel that in combination with new technology, students will benefit from both of these methods in school.

Kayla T said...

Technology is an ever-changing thing. I remember my first computer that I would play games like “Math Blasters” on, quite a dinosaur in today’s technology. Even the transition from black boards to white boards during my elementary school days was a fascinating process. Although the invention of new technologies every day washes away doing things the old way, I don’t necessarily believe that this change is bad. What is wrong with enabling everyone to learn new ideas in easier, quicker ways? The One Laptop Per Child program is an amazing concept. Providing a computer to a child, giving the vast amount of information found on the Internet and through other technologies with held in a single laptop provides not only education but also hope, hope for a successful future for these children. This concept will level the playing field for children living in developing countries.

The video also provides great incite as a future teacher. I need to be ready for new technologies and provide this new information in a beneficial way for my students. The statistical facts shown throughout the video confirms how rapidly new technologies are being created, and the importance of teaching my students how to use these new technologies. As a special education major this video also excites me because of the thought of new technologies to help special needs students.

I do see negative effects with this sudden and rapid increase in technology though. On a personal level, people don’t seem to interact in person as much. Instead of visiting a friend to talk, you text, call, or instant message them. I strongly dislike this type of “socialization”. It seems so impersonal. From an educational perspective, I still believe that some things are best the “old school” way. A child’s first book should still be an actual physical book, not something online. There’s something about being able to feel and skim through a book, which cannot be experienced through new technologies. Even the experience of an online class doesn’t seem as great as an actual class. Sure, its more convenient, but I almost feel as if the lack of personal interaction with the students and teachers makes the experience less enjoyable. This intern makes me consider the information taught and learned less important to me. There will always be positive and negative effects with new technologies and general changes in society. This video makes you realize the importance of these advancements.

Rose Gabriels said...

Technological changes have been happening throughout history, every generation has come up with some new concept to "help" society. From as basic as the wheel, to the astonishing things a simple cell phone can do. Technology is rapidly evolving, and will have a major effect on every aspect of modern life.

Taking classes online, emailing your professor, blogging about videos from class are all new concepts. Like it or not, these new ways of education are here to stay. Without a computer a MSU student would not be able to keep up with their academics. In one aspect this new system is a great tool that produces information faster than ever. If a student has a question about an assignment he or she doesn’t have to wait till their next class to receive the answer, they simply email their teacher. However, I think its astonishing that we have these amazingly advanced technologies, and yet we still have no solution or advances on world hunger, or AIDS. It makes me feel guilty that I can sit at home in my pajamas and learn from a computer when the majority of people on earth don’t have one.

Technology will only become more advanced, and this will impact generations to come. Becoming a teacher in today’s society means being able to keep up and understand these new technologies. Wheatear we like it or not, technology is changing and we have to keep.

Stephanie V said...

I feel that it will affect me personally in the teaching aspect because what I may be learning in school now will be completely different from what I will teach or how I will teaching in years to come. Everything in the education system is shifting towards the internet and the information age such as online homework sites. Teachers may not have to prepare the lesson plans for teaching the way they have been for years because computers and the internet can do it for them. This will also require extra schooling for current students becoming teachers because they will have to know all the technology their students are learning. This is true for parents as well. In order to help their children with homework they will need to know the devices they are working with.
As far as literature goes, I think that children will not use their imaginations as much when they are reading literature because so much is provided from media and internet for them. Their creative minds are being diminished from what is put out there for them to see and read everyday.
Since this shift is bringing other countries to America the expansion of languages will affect us as well. In school we will need to know different languages just to communicate with co workers or students we are teaching since the diversity in this country is increasing. This language change goes for literature as well. Authors will need to cater their books to all cultures and languages. It will be something to adjust to and may take this generation a bit longer to get used to compared to generations to come but will be necessary because of the shift taking place.

Lauren said...

First of all...this presentation is EPIC. There was so much information on it that I had no idea was true. I didn't even wonder about it. Isn't that sad? As a 20-year-old college student at a huge university, I didn't even wonder about how the technology around the world compared to the technology here in the United States. And that's why it is so important that we take something from this video. Our future students, our future children, even us...we need to be curious about the outside world. We need to step out of our comfortable boundaries, whether they be concrete like this campus, this state, this country, or whether they be abstract like this passive state of mind. We need to reach out and do something with our lives. That's not to say that if we do something here in the States we're stuck in our own little bubble, oblivious to the world. Not at all. Clearly we need to support our own country in order to support others as well. But we cannot let ourselves be unaware of what is going on around the world. We have to make ourselves care. Here we are shipping laptops across the world so children who don't even have textbooks can stay connected with the world. So they can learn! The United States is so fortunate. I have a laptop. I have access to the internet. What do I spend most of my time online doing? Homework or Facebook. Clearly most homework broadens my mind and I'm not bashing facebook...it's a very important communicatiion tool that has the potential to do just what this presentation advocates. But, like many of the people I know, I spend more time playing Happy Aquarium (yes, embarrassing to admit lol) than reading news forums or broadening my horizons in other ways. I think this video helps us all to realize that although things like video games and Facebook are not necessarily bad, there is a fine line between having fun and communicating through them and wasting our valuable time and resources when we could be changing the world. I think that if the right people watched this video, a lot of busy work would be cut out of our schools' curricula. Students would be taught how to embrace technology and use it to learn and make an impact on the world. Personally, this makes me want to see more and learn what this means for me. For now, I just plan to try to leave my little Happy Aquarium, Facebook, MSU, United States bubble more often and embrace the world around me.

Anna Yanke said...

This video really got my attention in many different ways, and made me think about technology in ways I haven't considered before. I was shocked when I read that "if myspace was a country, it would be the 8th largest country in the world". I never realized that myspace was such a huge part of our world today. The statement saying that China may be the country with the best English language also shocked me because most people would first assume that the United States is the best at the English language. The fact that we will someday have computer systems that exceed the intelligence of the human brain also amazes me! I always thought the human brain was an incredible thing that couldn't be beat!

There is no doubt that technology is increasing with time... and very quickly for that matter. I believe that there are both positive and negative outcomes with our exponentially fast growing technology.
Technology definitely makes our lives easier. Whenever I have a question on a definition, concept, or idea, I can simply type it into google and with one click, hundreds of web pages appear. I can write a ten page research paper without leaving my laptop and taking a trip to the library. Technology is also a very important concept to be familiar with since the majority of our life today depends on it. Universities now offer students to enroll in classes that are entirely online! People accomplish daily tasks such as shopping online. Technology also contributes to many people's entertainment. The number of people who watch television, youtube, movies, play video games, explore facebook, etc, is increasing daily.
Technology also has its drawbacks. The amount that people rely on technology may be viewed as lazy. Technology can substitute for trips to the library, mall, or even a nice game of basketball or soccer. People are starting to rely on machines that do specific tasks for them. Technology is also expensive. Certain aspects of technology is a concept that is very hard for some people, especially older adults, to grasp.

There's no doubt that technology will be and is a major part of my life as a student and as a teacher. I find it very helpful that I can search topics brought up in class or for a project on Google and can type and edit a paper on Microsoft Word, and even find and discuss things with classmates and friends on facebook. I think technology (to a certain extent) is something that everyone should be somewhat familiar with because it is becoming more and more apparent in our world today. But I also think that going about things the "old school way" is also important. For example, if I was to assign a research project to my students, I would say that 3 of the sources can be online sources and the other 3 sources must be books, articles, diaries, etc found in a library. I believe it is important to be an active learner and know how to find things if a situation arises where technology is not available at the time. Technology is, and always will be, a "love/hate relationship" to me.

Molly H said...

I found this video very interesting, It amazed me how fast technology is moving and advancing in our culture. Also the idea that children are being introduced to computers at the age of four, or that in some countries children are given computers (through the one laptop per child program) before they are even given a book. I can't believe that a child will learn how to use a computer before they will even open up a text book. Also, this idea that all the college graduates in China know how to speak english. Because of technology it seemed like english became the main language to communicate with one another. It is very fascinating that you can communicate with anyone around the world, with one click of a button! Although technology can get in the way of our daily lifes (through facebook, texting, watching tv, etc.) , it is a great way to communicate with one another.

Valerie said...

This is not the first time I have seen this presentation, and yet each time I watch it I am always left feeling surprised and a little scared. The part that scares me the most is that here I am paying for an education that doesn’t seem to be preparing me for the new technology changes that are happening within my profession. The books that I read about my major are not even current. How is it possible to study advertising from books that think direct mail is a new concept when now we have internet advertising that’s sent directly to our email that goes directly to our phone! Everyday something new comes out like facebook, or youtube. All this new technology has made our generation a very impatient one, as soon as we have a question we need answered we pull up Google on our iPhones, or we text a friend that knows the answer. We can even talk to people across the country all through a headset and a video game console. Just think of how ancient answering machines and dial up internet are, I cant even imagine trying to make plans on a Friday night without being able to text someone of reach them directly on their cell phone. The scary part is all of these things are going to be so out dated in just a few years. It makes me wonder what kind of life changing things my generation is going to invent that will forever leave their mark on the world.

Hadley S said...

Growing up, I remember learning how to use a computer in elementary school and my parents telling me about the first computers they learned to use. Furthermore, when they were learning to use these computers they were in college. Technology is improving and changing at an ever more rapid rate then expressed in the 2006 statistics, now. It is extremely important for children to be exposed to the new streaming technology and become equipped with the skills to use it. As teachers, I presume we will have to be continually taking classes to learn new technologies as it will be vital for our students to understand and be familiar with whatever computer or future software that is being used across the world. Also, children who are not familiarized with new technology (due to unprepared teachers or poor school systems) are only going to fall further and further behind. Students will constantly be learning how to use up-in-coming technology, as that is where our world is headed. The understanding of current and future technology will be essential for students to understand in order to have a successful future. I think future generations will have a whole new meaning of literacy. That is, technological literacy. My children are going to know how to do technological strategies, and such, that I cannot even think of. The possibilities are truly endless. Moreover, I want to assure that my kids will be placed in a school that has the resources to prepare them technologically to ensure a bright future. In terms of literature, at the rate we are going it seems as though literature on printed paper is going to diminish. Already, most neighborhoods do not receive newspapers anymore—something our grandparents I am sure would have never thought to happen. Also, there are now small computers that have books in them (I’m unsure of the name). These “books” are mini-computers full of stories, stories most of us are used to reading on paper. I found this “YouTube” clip very interesting, but not at all surprising. The world is changing, technology is changing. We have to prepare for the rapid technological advances to guarantee success for ourselves and especially our children/ students.

JeffS said...

-This is going to personally impact me because everything in school I am learning now will become obsolete in the near future. With the growth rate of technology as it is now we will all have to relearn everything to even be able to function in the work place in the future. My children will be learning something in school that I would only dream of learning and knowing.
-With this I believe, as it is already showing, is that literature and reading novels for fun will become a thing of the past, literally. More and more people already do not read books just for the fun of it, and pretty soon everything you could possibly imagine will be on the internet, if it isn't already.

Katie C said...

Things mentioned in this video will directly impact me, my future students, as well as my future children. It's hard to say if it's a negative or positive impact. Things like the OLPC program seems positive, but who's going to teach these kids how to use the internet or even how to type? The idea that things we're currently learning in school could potentially not matter in 10 or 15 years is frightening. With the constant forward motion, how will us and future generations be able to keep up in order to secure a job and provide for ourselves and families? The statistics of how many hours our generation has spent watching TV and playing video games makes me feel uneasy because perhaps we should be better preparing ourselves for what's to come in 10 or 15 years. But then again, how will we ever know what to expect? As for literature and literacy, it's my job as a teacher to encourage and best prepare my students to survive in the future. Hopefully I can instill the importance of reading to my students instead of television and video games. The statistics about emailing and instant messaging however seems like a positive step forward. With everybody given the chance to be more readily available to communicate, more resources are opened up to all generations. Although it seems like all these things are speeding up the process of change, would we forfeit them if it meant that we could slow the shift down? I doubt many of us would agree to that, and therefore makes us responsible for staying on top and prepared for whatever may come our way.

Jenny said...

I really enjoyed this video and it is unbelievable to see how much technology has changed. Most of us in my generation have grown up using computers and email, but even the technology shift from when I was in elementary school is huge. I can't even imagine how much technology will continue to shift by the time I am a teacher or a parent. I believe this will greatly impact my career and my experiences as a teacher. It has enabled classrooms to change their methods of teaching and presenting ideas. This class for example uses technology such as ANGEL and our blog to communicate ideas. This has impacted education in a way that allows information to be shared easier and faster and to keep our classroom connected even when we aren't in class. This technology shift means that as a teacher it is important to be up to date with the latest in technological advances, and the same applies to being a parent. As a parent in this age of technology you must be able to keep up with the changes being made to keep in touch with your children's education and to stay connected with the school. I believe that as technology continues to shift it will be easier to keep parents and classrooms connected, as we have already begun to see with the increase of blogging. This technology is going to be a positive thing for education, keeping everyone connected and making information more readily available to everyone.

As far as literacy and literature go, technology has impacted them in an interesting way. I have definitely seen a decline in the amount of reading done by students, including myself due to the technology available to us. I would assume that for most students, we are more likely to turn on the TV or spend hours on Facebook rather than open a book for enjoyment. The same applies for younger kids who spend their free time playing video or computer games. As more technology is available to us it seems books are being replaced by other activities and students are having a harder time being encouraged to read for enjoyment. My mom used to work for Borders Corp. and the company was having a hard time making money due to people spending less time reading books. On the other hand, technology has made literature more accessible at the same time. With the invention of the Kindle people are able to have a new novel in the hands with the click of a button. Technology has definitely created new distractions from reading, but on the other hand has made not only literature, but journals and other information much easier to access.

The only worry I have with our new technology is the poor grammar that is being learned with it. I know in my own writing I have to consciously go through and capitalize letters and spell out whole words that I typically do not do in a text message. I feel that students will struggle even more with this as they start texting at a younger age. It will be important as a teacher and as a parent to teach students the differences between text grammar and school grammar and to encourage strong writing. Although technology may cause problems for this, I feel that my writing hasn't suffered much from my texting and hopefully that will be the same for this next generation too.

Overall, I think this technology shift will have a positive impact on education. It has already made the world a smaller place and has made learning more accessible for everyone.

Brittany Esker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany Esker said...

*I just want to start off by saying that little video "Shift happens" was amazing!!! It was soooo interesting I watched it twice and showed my roommates. I must be honest the video kind of scared me. I feel like I do not know enough about technology I need to start learning more or I will never get a job! I could not believe how many countries speak english. I was shocked! I guess it is good that we have this blogging thing I need to get more educated on the things around me or I will be left behind. I also loved the quote " We cant solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them" ~ Albert Einstein... Very true!

Maeve M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maeve M said...

I have seen this video once before and it again baffled me. It is a natural and good thing that we are moving forward, change is something we can't stop. However, it is very scary to think about how much we rely on technology and only that. The advantages are that it can make our life easier by just emailing our professor and getting a response extremely fast, as well as with our peers. However, the disadvantage is that our communication skills lessen because of the fact that we don't even have to meet in person to discuss things. Everything these days can be done via the internet or through our cell phones.
Thinking about the future and where technology may be for our kids when we are parents frightens me. To think of the way that I grew up and how much technology impacted my life makes me think about the impcat it will have on my kids. Text messaging, email, and the power of our phones makes everything so easy, it is not even a challenge. That is a good thing but bad because of how much we rely on it. If technology failed at any point which it has with computers, websites or phones we all freak out. We don't even know what to do because of the way we rely on it.
My major is advertising which relies heavily on technology. It is a nice thing because of what we can do with advertising as a result of this. The creative advertisements we can make because of it and how far we have come is amazing. At the same time, if we keep going on this path eventually we won't even know what to do with the amount that is available to us.
When thinking about literature and where it will be in the future, it is another testy issue. Literature is already leaving our world in the sense of textbooks and reading books for children. Things are all going online and making our lives easier, as some people would put it. However, when thinking of where technology is right now it is hard to think that it will still be around in the future.

Yoon C said...

I have watched this video couple times in the past classrooms and I wonder how many more words, technologies, and many more have developed from the first time I watched this video, which was about a year ago. The numbers shown on this video increases tremendously that it scares me to think about all the new technologies we will need to learn as prospective teachers to teach a class that will benefit with new trends of technology.

I remember my elementary school using chalkboards and maybe an overhead but today, almost all fortunate elementary classrooms use Google Earth via Smartboards where touch screens are present without stinky markers that sting our noses on whiteboards. This whole shift from chalkboards, whiteboards, overheads, to Smartboards occurred in just about fifteen years. What will we, prospective teachers, need to prepare in next ten to fifteen years? The students are becoming smarter with technologies due to frequent access of hands-on experiences.

Soon, every home is going to have one or more computers in the household in which the cursive writing and importance of spelling are going to be diminished as the computers automatically correct misspells. Moreover, the readings will be done electronically where paper books will begin to diminish.

When I was learning to read, I loved holding a book, following each word with a finger, and the sound of flipping pages. However, shortly the students will start to read off of electronic books in which traditional books will begin to vanish. This may help save trees but in teaching literacy, new ways will need to be directed from teachers in teaching to read context through technology. Essentially, the teachers and parents will require to be well aware of the new trends of technologies in order for the students to follow-up with this fast shifting world.

Marci Malito said...

So, when I was watching this video, I was thinking the whole time what it has to do with literature, because that is our main focus on this class. I thought it was just a video that we would enjoy, and it had a lot of information in it such as 70% of 4 year olds have been on a computer, or that if myspace was a county, it would be the 8th largest in the world. I thought that this incredible. Most of our world is on the internet now. You can almost do anything or find anything on it, and that is only natural. Our world is moving forward in the world at such rapid pace and coming up with new technology every day.
When the facts came up about how much people watch tv, or talk on the phone, play video games etc.. by a certain age is ridiculous. The people in the world have drifted so far from picking up an actual book because oh, maybe the internet will have it, or they would rather play a video game than read a book. In addition to whenever we are on the internet doing anything school related, we always have to take breaks to check face book, or play a quick game of tetris.
When the end of the video approached which it said that how will we prepare children now to be literate in the next century really caught my attention. We have to be prepared for what the world is going to come up with next. Advances are being made daily, and we are the ones who have to be ready for it, especially since we are the future.
I really want to know now how it is going to be if we are future parents to see what inventions are made for our kids. It is going to be very interesting,

Amber Smith said...

This video really made me think about technology and how much we use it. I know that technology is a huge part of my life but I didn't really think of how it's changing and how it affects everyone else' lives.I also did not think of the fact that if we don't start using it more in the classroom many children will be left behind.
In today's world it is a necessity to be able to use technology. Colleges are now making it required to own a laptop, and in both colleges and High schools it is required to type papers. Teachers that were difficult to get ahold of are now easy due to email. One quick message and you're connected.
I also think of how much information there is on the internet. If you aren't computer literate think of all the things you can't access. You can find more books online than in a library. You can type in the one word you're looking for and find more information than you could ever hope to read. If one child can access all of that and one can't how much harder will it be for the former to write a paper? Because of this we need to be introducing computers to children at an early age and teaching them how to use them.

Carolyn H said...

It is obvious that technology is exponentially increasing in our society but to see the statistics laid out in a such a matter of fact way is stunning. This is an incredibly important phenomenon for everyone, but in particular, aspiring teachers. The way we were taught when we were in elementary school is going to be completely different than the way we go about educating our students. This raises so many questions - what is actually going to exist in our classrooms? Are the traditions of the textbooks and chalkboards going to be obsolete?

While technology is an incredibly powerful and irreplaceable resource, one can't help to wonder if it is all good. If technology is soon going to surpass the intelligence of the human race, how will we be able to have any control over it? Will it replace human interaction all together?

I got into teaching because I love interacting with people, in particular children. With the ever pressing issue of technology, I can't help but to ponder how much interaction with the students will be taken away from me in place of a computer or a website.

It is important to embrace technology because like the video said, we can hold the entire world in our hands with it. However, we must constantly adapt and check ourselves in order to make sure we are maintaining a healthy balance between technology and good old fashioned books, and human interaction. If we lose sight of the important things, technology can be a frightening thing.

Anonymous said...

I have seen videos like this before, and the same part always makes me nervous. The part where they talk about how we are preparing children for positions that do not currently exist! As an aspiring teacher, this worries me. My parents seem so old-fashioned and unfamiliar with technology, so will I look old-fashioned to my students? How can I successfully prepare my students for the real world if I don't know what tools they will need?!

This video also prompts me to think about how jobs are constantly disappearing and new ones emerge. You can see this in any industry! For instance, there are now machines that can take the jobs of assembly line workers, yet there need to be mechanics for these machines. The only exception is teaching. Will there ever be a time when we do not use teachers?? Of course, I truly hope not. I believe that computers cannot take the place of a teacher. Computers cannot promote social development, morals, and other important aspects of life. Additionally, teachers are needed so that parents can go to work, and the feel confident that their child is learning and is being protected. With this thought in mind however, I feel that it is possible for the computer to replace professors. There are many online classes available, and I truly believe that this does not promote learning the same way that a traditional class does. Technology sure does have a lot of advantages, but sometimes I feel that it is best to be traditional.

Katie O. said...

I believe that Shift Happens could potentially illustrate our near future. Although all of these facts are soon to be true, I do not believe that the change will have quite the catastrophic affect on individuals like we think. Yes, shifts have already happened and will continue to occur in the world of technology, but the shift probably will not be as drastic as stated. The transition to cell phones and internet sources instead of only home phones and encyclopedias has changed the world. However, these progressing technologies have helped to progress the world as a whole. This progression of technology has already started however, in the past ten or so years technology has already impacted the world around us in large ways. Even with this new information, we have continued to live in a similar world and I think that the shift will continue to change steadily having little impact us individuals.

As for the impact on education, the new coming technology shift will create a shift on the type of information taught and the processes of learning. Nonetheless, I do not think that these changes will affect my personal education in a large way. I am an elementary education major with minors in math and history and I believe that the advanced teaching technologies will affect the secondary education systems more. In the lower aged classrooms the direct contact between students and teachers is evidently needed more to develop learning techniques and general information. With this being said, I feel that yes, the information being taught may shift, but the need for educators and schools will still be present.

Ashleigh B said...

Technology is all around us. In the way we commute to class, just think 100 years ago, there was no such thing as mass transit bus systems to transport students to and from class. Going to college today in 2010 is very different than what it was in our parents generation. We now have access to the world wide web and almost everyone owns a personal computer. Technology impacts everything we do. I wake up in the morning to an alarm clock on my cell phone, who would have predicted that 20 years ago? Making toast for breakfast is an idea that wasn't around decades ago.
Technology is changing at a rapid pace. Education has changed drastically over the last several years. Students now have the option to take online courses, or a hybrid course (part lecture, part online). Students are still required to read and write as always, but with new mediums. Whereas before students would often go to a library to do a research paper, we have the option to surf the web to gather information and many textbooks have online formats. The increase in technology has increased the knowledge available for the general population. I don't think growing technology is anything to be scared of, rather we should be scared for not being prepared and knowledgeable for the changes brought forth.
Instant messaging and text messages have forever changed the way people communicate. Abbreviated words brought about by these forms of communication do pose a problem if used in the wrong way. Students and children must realize that acronyms such as LOL and BRB are to be used in the right place. A professional paper or a writing for class is not an appropriate place for these words. With the new technology we have created a new form of language that older generations are unaware of. However, the increase in shortened words have no affect on literacy as long as students are aware of when and where to use them.

Lauren T. said...

Personally I think that this phenomenon will impact me a lot. I have only lived for 22 years, however technology has changed drastically. I can barely remember when computers had only basic programs like notepad or when video gaming systems like Nintendo were the new thing. Technology has removed some jobs from existence and replaced them with others involved more technological knowledge. This shift is helping the world to advance, but at the same time making people seem less necessary.
Education is also being changed. Teachers are also not as necessary as before. Computers and the use of the internet can provide a great deal of information to anyone who learns how to use it. The only teachers we may need in the future and those who can teach us to use the available technology of the time.
As a future parent I think that it is important to start preparing for the future now. Anticipating what will change and not offering classes and teaching students about things that will not be important in the future and will not provide for jobs in the future.
This idea of 'shift happens' is one that is very interesting and a little scary. It is crazy to think about the amount of people in the world and how it is growing exponentially each day. Also how a country like China could have a population that speaks English greater than that in the United States. Also how technology could be more advanced and smarter than that of the human brain.
To me this means that literacy and literature will never be forgotten. People may read in a different context, online, like with the kindle, but they will still read. Creativity is something that has no end and new literature will always be written and read and talked about. Learning is something that has no end and technology and the idea of how 'shift' happens only help to make that more possible.

Brianna R. said...

I cannot discern which is more striking; the facts presented in the video, or the fact that I'm not surprised.

I am very comfortable with the technological advancements of today and also with the fact that they will always be improving and changing with the times. It is fascinating how open and easy it is to access people and information nowadays, but with all that is available, it'd be surprising if society wasn't integrating it in the way it has been.
A mere 20 years ago, the level of communication that is utilized in contemporary lifestyle accompanied with the thousands of modes of rhetoric was inconceivable. Students of all ages can collaborate with other students across the world to bring about a revolutionary shift in the way people are educated and introduced into the job market. Personally, I can track my increasing dependence on the internet within the last five years, and I cannot see any harm it has inflicted upon the way I conduct myself in the classroom or the etiquette I adhere to when I'm face-to-face with someone. It has helped me stay current with world events, expedite my daily activities, keep in touch with distant friends and relatives, and has become the foundation upon which I conduct my own education. To summarize, the technology shift has only helped me and I strongly feel that it will continue to do so for many years to come.
In terms of education, I feel that the shift from paper to screens is possibly devaluing the written word to some extent. The internet makes everything extremely accessible. Despite the fact that information can be easily falsified, the internet is still a primary source for research. However, exposing children to blogging in the classroom, online assignments, etc...will undoubtedly give them advantages in providing them with familiarity and comfort when dealing with the internet in the future. This allows teachers to connect with teachers, classrooms to connect with classrooms and schools to connect with schools on both a local and worldwide level. With the technology and resources available today, there is no reason for illiteracy of the written word to exist. More literature will be published through different and constantly evolving mediums of communication. As society becomes increasingly more fast-paced and in demand of information immediately, the level of illiteracy will hopefully decrease naturally.

Jaclyn Hoover said...

This video was mind blowing to me. Being nineteen years old, I would think that I haven’t been through a lot of the big changes in technology but the video tells me otherwise. In the beginning of the video we learned that 34 babies are born every eight seconds. That was incredible for me to know. I work at a daycare and tragically one of our babies passed away recently. I was having a hard time dealing with it as would anyone. When I learned this statistic I realized that the world is a giant cycle. It’s all about the circle of life. One person dies as another one is born. That is how human life continues.

Another statistic I found interesting was the one about college graduates. It said that 1.3 college students graduated from college in the United States, 3.1 in India and 3.3 in China. I thought this was shocking. I would have never guessed that there would be more college graduates from any other country besides the United States. The United States has always made the impression that they are the wealthiest, healthiest and best educated country but it is actually Great Britain and I’m sure many others would be surprised by that fact.

Another statistic was that today’s 21 year olds have watched over 20,000 hours of T.V. This was not as surprising but that is over 833 whole days. Can you imagine watching T.V. for over two whole year’s non-stop? It is weird to think about.

I thing that this all impacts me personally right now; these facts are about our lives currently. I think these kinds of facts are important to know for the future as teachers because we will be dealing with the children of the future. We will need to educate ourselves about the new technologies and be able to stay up to date in order to keep the children up to date and make sure they are successful in the future of technology. I think that it means the future for literature will be becoming more and more electronic and children will have to become more and more educated on technology to be successful.

Kassandra D said...

I have seen a clip like this before, and each and every time, I am amazed. Technology is continuously changing how we do everyday tasks and how we are learning new ideas. It is affecting classrooms and students every day. Even if we aren’t immersed in new techonicologal advances on a daily basis, it is still affecting our lives. We use computers almost every day if not every day, as well as phones. I know that text messaging hit me like a wave, whereas 3 years ago, I rarely text anybody and now it is a daily occurrence. I believe that technology is a pushing factor in how we can analyze new ideas and get information out there. It also amazed me about the jobs. We are training for jobs that haven’t even been created yet and that to me is mind boggling.
On an educational aspect these new technological advances can be taken as having both good and bad aspects to it. Information is now readily available at children’s fingertips, and they have multiple resources to compare and check. On the downside is, like this blog, really anyone can put information on the internet so it will be important to continue to help children/students find those reliable resources. They will have experiences in their educational lives that I didn’t have as a child. They will be using technology in many ways; some of these may include online assignments, presentations etc. whereas I didn’t really start doing this until I hit high school.
Literature is very important and I hope that with this growing technology, books aren’t lost. Yes, audio books and books online are great resources. But it is still essential for all students to still learn in the old fashion way. Sometimes the old cliché you can’t get where you’re going until you know where you’ve been will apply to these students. Like I said before information is at their fingertips, but it is also in many books around the world, and that will be a key factor in some of their educational learning experiences.

KatelynP said...

I think this will impact me personally because I like everyone else have to keep up the new technology to be successful. For example, in order to be successful in this class I had to learn the new technology of blogging. This was a new skill I developed specifically for the purpose of meeting the technological expectations of this class. This will impact my education by focusing it more on using new technology developed. I need to be able to keep up with everything in order to be connected in the world. I may also have to learn how to teach using new technology developed in order to keep my student interested and up to date. Being a potential parent I want to know how to use this new technology so I can assist my children with it. I also want to know what the technology is capable of so I can monitor what my children are using it for. I want to know what type of personal information the new technology are going to ask for, so I know how to educate me children about safely using these advances. This video really made me think about how dependant we are on technology as an American society. I know I am very dependent on my cell phone and e-mails. I keep in touch with my friends through texts because it do not always have time to sit and talk on the phone. It is expected that every home have a computer and working internet. Without these tools children are at a disadvantage compared to the resources their peers have. I believe these advancements in technology can improve literacy by giving people tools and access to new information. For example, if someone’s child is dyslexic a parent can jump on the internet and find ways to help their Childs reading skills. Therefore, the technology is importing to the literacy of that child. I think these advancement also give us access to a wide variety of reading materials which may cause people to read more therefore improving literacy. However, with the new technology the quality of literature may be going down because almost anyone can publish something on the Internet today. However, because of that fact we have more literature accessible, which intern can help improve literacy.

Tim K said...

I like the video a lot it was interesting, and very informative. It really made me think about how much I use technology and how important and useful it is. Education should start leaning towards being technology based. Instead of having teachers stand up and lecture to the students have them use computer programs to interact with students, or to help guide lessons and help students learn. The video said how India graduated 3.1 million students in 2006, the United States 1.3 million. India I learned last semester is very technologically advanced. This just seemed to me that we are a bit behind then and how using technology can help a country so much in education. The video pointed out how by the age of 21 most people have watched 20,000 hours of television, and played 10,000 hours of video games which I have probably done and I’m not 21 yet. That is a lot of time spend watching television or video games, when reading could be being done. That is If that is what people are doing we should embrace it and use it to our advantage. People need to realize that not only has technology change but people have too. Our society has become so reliant on technology and uses it every day. The video said 70% of 4 years old have used a computer. There are some older folk who have not used a computer. It just shows how far apart the generations are. Personally this video made me think about how lost I would be without technology. I keep everything on my laptop; notes, organizer, power points, projects, papers, calendars. If I was to loss this I would be lost until I got a new one.
For literacy I think that a lot more literature will be available on line. There are already sections of books online and reviews, full summaries. Soon I think more full books will be able to be read online. We already do it at school a lot reading articles online, watching videos, and being able to able to post works online. It made me really think also about how much material is online already. Most major newspapers have websites where someone with internet access can go and read articles online. Also it made me think about how easy it is to obtain information and how faster it is. Instead of looking in a book once you find the right book. Someone can just go on the internet and type the subject into Google and get pages upon pages on information on it.
All in all I like the video a lot; it made me think about technology in my life and in general for the whole world. It made me realize how easier and faster it made to get information and how it has become so popular over the years.

Gabrielle G said...

I found this video fascinating but at the same time I found it to be frightening. It scares me how much there is to know and I wonder... will technology cause more problems than solutions? Are our future students and children going to appreciate the things we grew up appreciating? Things like the laptop program created to send laptops to children in developing countries, is that really what these children need? A computer? Or do they need a teacher or a book? These are questions that have many different opinions I am sure.

From a future educator's standpoint, the most important thing I learned from this video is the importance of professional development. Children that are being born right now as I type are going to be my future students. These students are going to be introduced to all of the technology I was at a younger age. Not only will they be introduced to what I know but they will be introduced to more. I think it is important as a teacher and a parent to know these things that out children and students are practicing.

There are many positives that come from technology and I am by no means trying to overlook those. I just hope that I am capable as a teacher and future parent to understand the things my children do. Also, I hope I can help them understand the things that were important to us when we were young student/children.

Ashley Schurig said...

This drastic shift in technology has changed our everyday lives. The real question is...is it for better? or for worse? Honestly, I stand right at the midway line for this. In some cases, I believe the growth of technology has helped us and it other ways it has hindered us. Beginning with the negative aspects of technology, I believe our generation and the generation below us do not have as strong social skills as our parents or grandparents. Sure we can keep in touch with people far away by using the internet but do we hear from them online more than we see them in person? Sometimes I overhear people talking in person using the code words like they were talking online (OMG, JK, TTYL). This to me is really sad. For some, the overuse of technology has caused us to talk in this way. Sure it's quicker and easier but is it really appropriate? I see people walking to class with their noses in their phones texting away. I admit, I do this sometimes myself. The sad thing is, we don't take the time to look around us and enjoy the nature and the beauty of campus. Instead, we are all looking down and texting. In addition, more and more people are becoming obese because of all the technology. Instead of playing sports outside, some are sitting on couches all day playing video games or computer games. I'm a strong believer of staying active and really do not like to see people wasting a beautiful day inside on a computer or by a television screen.

On the other hand, technology has helped us a great deal. For an example, the cell phone. If you think about it in terms of safety, I really don't know how people lived without them. If you were to get in a car accident and have a cell phone, you are able to call for help right away. Having a cell phone in this case, is almost like a lifeline. It can really help you out in emergencies. In addition, the ability we have to find information right at our fingertips saves a lot of time. Society today is all about being quick and the use of technology definitely helps us with this.

From a teaching standpoint, I worry that the children we will be teaching soon will have their noses in their cell phones or laptops. I worry that they won't want to go outside and play. I babysit a lot and the two boys are constantly asking me if they can have their "screen time". The parents only allow them a half hour a day to watch television or play their gameboy. I believe this is a wonderful rule and helps keep them active and enjoy interactive games. Without this rule, they would want to sit and watch T.V. all day and that is not healthy.

Because of the constant change in technology, we as teachers will have to keep learning and improving our teaching ways. In conclusion, I believe that technology is great IF you don't abuse it!

Jordan B said...

What an amazing video. It really puts things into perspective about the changing world we live in. With all the statistics they show it really shows the fast technological world today is definitely exponentially fast. The numbers just catch your eye and you wonder where is our technology taking us? You wonder what our children will have to deal in the near future. How a small laptop can one day be smarter than the human race is just amazing. Some how us as teachers need to find ways to start developing children better so that some day we can avoid these growing statistics like a billion text messages today. But i do find it hard because obviously we want whats quicker and easier and things are only going to get faster with technology. I do believe if we use technology to the kid's benefit in the classroom then we can create a smarter planet. We just have to figure out ways to control this growing trend in our world. As years pass technology will continue to eat up literature and soon who knows there might be no books any more unless they are hisorically significant because now we can just find these books online where it is much easier. Books are dying and we already see that newspapers are dying because of the Internet.
The numbers weren't shocking to me in this video. I can tell that all this goes down because technology is so fast. When we are teachers someday who knows if we will actually read to our children. If anything we will have a simulaed voice on the computer do it for us. I feel that could be a problem because children learn by using their five senses and their older peers. Hopefully someday technology will not go crazy and exceed anything a human can do. Unfortunately from this video i feel this situation is inevedible.

Megan G. said...

The video “Shift Happens” gives a very honest description of just how much the internet and other forms of technology have grown to be such an important and crucial element in our lives. Eventually one day, I am going to have children of my own and it is going to be my responsibility to ask myself what needs to be done and what needs to be changed to ensure that my children and the children of that generation and the next receive to the tools and knowledge they need to succeed in such a technology ruled society. As a teacher, I will be given the opportunity to incorporate and take advantage of the availability of technology in my classroom environment so that my students have the opportunity to succeed intellectually to their best ability.
After watching the short video, it was made very clear, that the internet and other forms of technology need to be incorporated (properly) into the lives of today’s students so that they can connect the world around them and gain access to information that will help them be successful. I think that other projects need to be organized like that of the “One Laptop per Child Project” (OLPC) so that children of developing countries can receive the same opportunity as the rest of the world’s children to gain access to the tools and information that technology can provide. All students deserve the equal opportunity to succeed and I feel that if we continue to incorporate certain forms of technology into the curriculum of the world’s youth, than we are certainly taking the strides forward to ensure that this will happen.
The astonishing growth of technical information in the last decade has made me really take a step back and look at the opportunity that we have at hand. We have the ability to take advantage of the immediate access our students have to information. However, it is also a scary realization that if not used properly, technology when used in the form of excessive amounts of TV. watching, instant messaging, etc., can be distracting and detrimental to today’s youth. The internet can provide kids with useful knowledge, but it can also easily give them quick access to images and information that is inappropriate and dangerous. Additionally, as the access to technology increases, students have greater access to the tools they need to become more capable and literate adults. Students will be able to interact more with literature through the internet and other forms of technology and therefore will have the opportunity to be successful in the future.

Megan G. said...

The video “Shift Happens” gives a very honest description of just how much the internet and other forms of technology have grown to be such an important and crucial element in our lives. Eventually one day, I am going to have children of my own and it is going to be my responsibility to ask myself what needs to be done and what needs to be changed to ensure that my children and the children of that generation and the next receive to the tools and knowledge they need to succeed in such a technology ruled society. As a teacher, I will be given the opportunity to incorporate and take advantage of the availability of technology in my classroom environment so that my students have the opportunity to succeed intellectually to their best ability.
After watching the short video, it was made very clear, that the internet and other forms of technology need to be incorporated (properly) into the lives of today’s students so that they can connect the world around them and gain access to information that will help them be successful. I think that other projects need to be organized like that of the “One Laptop per Child Project” (OLPC) so that children of developing countries can receive the same opportunity as the rest of the world’s children to gain access to the tools and information that technology can provide. All students deserve the equal opportunity to succeed and I feel that if we continue to incorporate certain forms of technology into the curriculum of the world’s youth, than we are certainly taking the strides forward to ensure that this will happen.
The astonishing growth of technical information in the last decade has made me really take a step back and look at the opportunity that we have at hand. We have the ability to take advantage of the immediate access our students have to information. However, it is also a scary realization that if not used properly, technology when used in the form of excessive amounts of TV. watching, instant messaging, etc., can be distracting and detrimental to today’s youth. The internet can provide kids with useful knowledge, but it can also easily give them quick access to images and information that is inappropriate and dangerous. Additionally, as the access to technology increases, students have greater access to the tools they need to become more capable and literate adults. Students will be able to interact more with literature through the internet and other forms of technology and therefore will have the opportunity to be successful in the future.

Morgan P. said...

This is actually the third time I have been shared this same video clip in a class here at MSU. The fact that these statistics are so impactful and are being shared throughout many courses on campus shows the significance of how real these issues really are. As future educators, technology is becoming a competition for our jobs. With advancements in technology, who is to say that one day we will not need teachers, but will use computers to teach the children of our future.

KevinJas said...

It is amazing to me that just in the time I have spent on this planet where the earth has gone in regards to all of this technology. For such a long period of time the world operated without all of this technology, this constant update to everyone around you. Now in the past twenty years or so there is an increase like the video shows in such great quantities that really no one even twenty years ago could have begun to fathom.

This is going to effect everyone immensely if this rise increases as the video says. When I become a teacher will we even really utilize books? How about farther down in time, will we even be face to face with all of our students? I see this shift as a part of life, human kind has chosen to utilize all of this technology and now what would we do without it. Our kids are going to become smarter, the world is literally at the push of a button. As teachers we are supposed to answer these questions that come through life but what if the students can answer it with their own power.

I think our kids literacy has a chance to increase, they are going to be exposed to so much more from a younger age. They will understand how to use computers, they need to comprehend at such a higher rate in order for them to keep up with the ever changing society. This will be something we as educators need to keep up for our kids and probably will be required to teach about these technologies in our classrooms. It is a change that most people will need to learn to live with and hopefully will better our society throughout the rest of our lifetimes.

Ksedlmeyer said...

Change happens. It is a natural part of life and it is something that should be embraced, especially in relation to humanity's technological advances. As we continue to advance in technology, our world continues to evolve into one that we continuously modify, such as the "new majors" mentioned in the video. With these continuous shifts, I feel that I (and everyone my age) will begin to see both some positive and negative aspects of the advances and shifts that occur due to technological advances.

The positives include how much easier information-sharing and communication will become, and how technolgy can continually be improved in ways to make our lives easier and easier (not necessarily lazier!). The negative aspects that worry me involve where I will stand in relation to my job, which also ties in with education. What if I cannot keep up the this rapid shift? Will I be able to keep my job? What if this shift causes a whole new perspective or whole new WAY of education? Will I still even have a job? I look at people like my own father who were born only 50-60 years ago who didn't keep up with the shift, but the shift is only going to intensify throughout my adulthood... So what does this imply for people like me? Will we fall behind and as a result be left behind?

As a future parent or techer, a few questions pop into my head in relation to the shift: What if I cannot keep up and can therefore not assist my children or students? I will most likely lose my job as a teacher, but what about my children's teachers? We can only learn so fast and our own technological creations pass us up quicker than we can understand them. So where does literature come into play? If students need to learn about our "new technology" for these said new majors, how can they keep up if the subjects they study change by the time they need to apply what they have learned? I feel as though literature's role will become less and less important as the dependance on technological sources increases. Same goes for educators when the materials they use to teach change. Although I feel that we should not fear what we can create, we should also understand that we can in turn be putting ourselves in a stituation that we cannot keep up with.

Katherine B. said...

This is a very interesting video. I think that it is very important information for every person in the world to know, because it puts the change that the world is going though in terms that we can understand. This will definitely affect my children and thier education, but it is such a broad change that they will not actually notice the changes unless someone points them out to them like in this video. I agree that schools need to have the best technology and information that they can give thier students, because as it is the world is changing very rapidly. It would be best for everyone to be as updated as possible so that the transition between new technologies and settings can be as easy as possible. Having a lack of updated technology can seriously hider a student from succeeding in many areas because it handicaps tem from understanding the changing world around them.
Already, you can see the awareness of this information everywhere. Especially on a college campus, everyone is rooting for change and development and probably every student at MSU has seen a video to the same effect as this one. In some ways it is very benificial to every student here, but there are some dangers in pushing ahead too much in the wrong direction. As this video also showed us, there are many things that we arent done developing yet that will also cause problems that we have never seen before. It is important to be wary of these things and to treat carefuly on the 'uncharted territory' that is the future.

Laura Brown said...

The changes in our society is natural. Everyday our world around us is changing somehow. Although we might not realize it at first we do down the road later. It seems that technology has made the latest advancement in today's spectrum. I see this as a good and bad thing. The good things being that we can communicate in a much faster way with people that live on the opposite side of the world. We have the power to actually talk to people that we once had no connection with at all years ago. I think that is the most beneficial part of technology. The bad that I see in technology taking over is that people are becoming less social. Instead of calling up someone to talk, they text them instead to see where they are at. This to me is not personal and you lose contact with people over time. I for one am very nervous about the future. Here I am spending x amount of dollars to attend college at a top school that is rated #1 in teaching, yet technology could one day do more than I could, therefore replacing me. If this were to happen that would actually make me nervous in the fact that children are not getting the "right" education. By right I mean the one-on-one attention students receive from their teachers. Are computers going to be able to show/answer each and every question a student has? Will it be enough? Our economy has made some drastic changes recently and we will never know what the future holds, but what concerns me is are we teaching the children of tomorrow the correct topics. It seems as though in today's world we need to start teaching them in technology and continue with it since technology has become a HUGE part of our world. One day I do believe that technology is going to take over and soon we could be left without a job. I foresee this happening because technology could be made that will make car parts, teach classes, and even cook. All of these jobs could potentially be taken over by technology. As I stated before, I believe technology is a good thing, but only to a certain extent. I feel that overusing technology leaves us separated from social interactions with everyday individuals.

However, becoming a teacher I believe that technology has left me with boundless opportunities to grasp information that resides at my fingertips. In order to make the technology we have be beneficial for our students we need to teach them how to use it most importantly.

Laura Brown said...

The changes in our society is natural. Everyday our world around us is changing somehow. Although we might not realize it at first we do down the road later. It seems that technology has made the latest advancement in today's spectrum. I see this as a good and bad thing. The good things being that we can communicate in a much faster way with people that live on the opposite side of the world. We have the power to actually talk to people that we once had no connection with at all years ago. I think that is the most beneficial part of technology. The bad that I see in technology taking over is that people are becoming less social. Instead of calling up someone to talk, they text them instead to see where they are at. This to me is not personal and you lose contact with people over time. I for one am very nervous about the future. Here I am spending x amount of dollars to attend college at a top school that is rated #1 in teaching, yet technology could one day do more than I could, therefore replacing me. If this were to happen that would actually make me nervous in the fact that children are not getting the "right" education. By right I mean the one-on-one attention students receive from their teachers. Are computers going to be able to show/answer each and every question a student has? Will it be enough? Our economy has made some drastic changes recently and we will never know what the future holds, but what concerns me is are we teaching the children of tomorrow the correct topics. It seems as though in today's world we need to start teaching them in technology and continue with it since technology has become a HUGE part of our world. One day I do believe that technology is going to take over and soon we could be left without a job. I foresee this happening because technology could be made that will make car parts, teach classes, and even cook. All of these jobs could potentially be taken over by technology. As I stated before, I believe technology is a good thing, but only to a certain extent. I feel that overusing technology leaves us separated from social interactions with everyday individuals.

However, becoming a teacher I believe that technology has left me with boundless opportunities to grasp information that resides at my fingertips. In order to make the technology we have be beneficial for our students we need to teach them how to use it most importantly.

Laura Brown said...

The changes in our society is natural. Everyday our world around us is changing somehow. Although we might not realize it at first we do down the road later. It seems that technology has made the latest advancement in today's spectrum. I see this as a good and bad thing. The good things being that we can communicate in a much faster way with people that live on the opposite side of the world. We have the power to actually talk to people that we once had no connection with at all years ago. I think that is the most beneficial part of technology. The bad that I see in technology taking over is that people are becoming less social. Instead of calling up someone to talk, they text them instead to see where they are at. This to me is not personal and you lose contact with people over time. I for one am very nervous about the future. Here I am spending x amount of dollars to attend college at a top school that is rated #1 in teaching, yet technology could one day do more than I could, therefore replacing me. If this were to happen that would actually make me nervous in the fact that children are not getting the "right" education. By right I mean the one-on-one attention students receive from their teachers. Are computers going to be able to show/answer each and every question a student has? Will it be enough? Our economy has made some drastic changes recently and we will never know what the future holds, but what concerns me is are we teaching the children of tomorrow the correct topics. It seems as though in today's world we need to start teaching them in technology and continue with it since technology has become a HUGE part of our world. One day I do believe that technology is going to take over and soon we could be left without a job. I foresee this happening because technology could be made that will make car parts, teach classes, and even cook. All of these jobs could potentially be taken over by technology. As I stated before, I believe technology is a good thing, but only to a certain extent. I feel that overusing technology leaves us separated from social interactions with everyday individuals.

However, becoming a teacher I believe that technology has left me with boundless opportunities to grasp information that resides at my fingertips. In order to make the technology we have be beneficial for our students we need to teach them how to use it most importantly.

Chris W. said...

I think that technology is inevitable in our jobs as teachers and in the lives of students today. We as teachers need to expose children to the proper technology at a young age to give them the chance to understand and use the technology. I thought it was unbelievable that 100% of the college graduates from India speak English. It was also alarming to see how many more college graduates there are from China and India compared to the United States.