1. Boys take longer to read than girls do
2. Boys read less than girls read
3. Girls tend to comprehend narrative texts and expository texts better than boys
4. Boys value reading as an activity less than girls
Besides the fact that my sex has now given me a great excuse not to read and it has been shown that I cannot comprehend the average narrative story better than my female counter part, I feel perfectly okay about my situation. Why? The article also suggests the following...
1. Boys tend to resist reading stories about girls, whereas girls do not tend to resist reading stories about boys
-I don't care to hear about how she talked behind your back and how ugly that dress she wore on Saturday was
2. Boys are more inclined to read informational texts, magazines, and newspaper articles
-I like my Sports Illustrated, Maxim, and USA today
3. Boys read less fiction than girls
-You can keep your shirtless Taylor Lautner and Bella
4. Boys like to read about hobbies, sports and things they might do or be interested in doing
-There's nothing better than reading something about skydiving or some other stereotypical male activity
Although the main point of the article was that boys are clearly behind girls when it comes to reading which can lead to future life struggles and addresses ways that we as teachers and role models can help the current problem, I felt that this article provided a great excuse for why I can't stand to listen to my girlfriends talk about the latest Twilight update and why I would rather sit on the couch and read my Sports Illustrated than indulge in some narrative story I wont be able to comprehend as well. So for all you girls you girls who think you can read better than us guys, I'm okay with it. I'll take my time and read my sports section without a care in the world.
3 comments:
Yes, completely agree. Boys do suck at reading, and I am not ashamed of it. In fact, I HATE reading, making me a vivid example of the research done. It has killed me in college, because I do not have a class which I have ever read the book for, making it really bad on my grades, but at the same time I tend to some how pull through, and now I am a senior with a GPA of 3.3. I am more likely to pick up a magazine about sports, and read the whole thing than grab the DaVince Code novel and be interested in it.
I think my problem with reading and the lack of interest, is my concentration problem. I would much rather be hanging out with friends, watching a movie, playing games, than reading words on paper. It is really hard for me to concentrate and I do not know why. My mind goes million thoughts per second when I try to sit down and read. I see it as something useless and think of a thousand other things that I would rather be doing. It is bad habit, but somehow I have managed to go through college without doing assigned readings in most of my classes.
I can see how this might have an effect on boys' test scores etc., but from a girl's point of view, I hate sitting down and reading for classes as well and it has nothing to do with any of the reasons given. Let's face it, there are so many other things we would rather be doing then reading what someone else has suggested for us.
I question with your article, where and how did you collect your data? because according to the national SAT scores by gender, girls receive 502 for reading 502 for writing and 502 Mathematics. And for boys 505 for reading, 491 for writing and 536 for mathematics. Girls are on their way catching up the score but still boys tend to have a higher score than girls. Judging how buys suck at reading with such data isn't accurate. Not so many people enjoy reading unless the task was given. So it is hard to say whether who is good and bad at reading
Post a Comment