Sunday, January 24, 2010

You Are Special

Hey guys,

Well lately in class we have been listening to children’s books and discussing the meaning of the book, so I wanted to share this book with you because it is my favorite book with pictures. I actually read this book when I was a teenager and I realize now that it isn’t just a book for children but also a book adults would enjoy. The reason I liked it so much was because it has such a good meaning, which to me was what is most important is how God sees you. It was a good book to read while going through those tough teenage years. Well just let me know what you think of it and what the meaning is to you. Also what would children get out of this book? Do you think they would understand the meaning? I mean I would like to read it to my class one day. I hope you guys like it.

Here are two ways to read it: 

Just the words

Listening with pictures 

 

3 comments:

KaraE said...

Well, I wouldn't push this book into my classroom, but that may be a result from not being religious. I do see how you've interpreted the book into 'how God sees you' and that's most likely the meaning that the author wanted to give, those concepts just align. What I don't like about this book is that you don't see that comparison until the very end. The book is judgmental, and even though we do live in a world that reflects this, I am uncomfortable with its association to turn to the omniscient father for approval. God. I am more uncomfortable with that guy and his place in schools- unless we're talking Christian schools, then that's a different story. I still don't care too much for the book itself though. It reminded me of swastikas and the star of david to be honest.

Kayla T said...

After watching the video of the book "You are Special" I have very mixed feelings about the book. I can see how you can relate, “You are Special” to the story of God and Jesus in the Bible. The Wemmicks, or small wooden people may represent the people of earth. Each Wemmick is given a star when doing something good, or a dot when doing something bad or making a mistake. Eli, the marker of the wooden people may represent God. Lucia, the wooden person with no stars or dots, can represent Jesus. Punchinello, the main character, has received many dots from the other Wemmicks and does not have any self-confidence because of it. Lucia saves the main character, Punchinello, by sending him to Eli. Eli tells Punchinello that he loves him no matter what.

I enjoy the story because it teaches a child that you are special no matter how many mistakes you may make. It also explains that how others view you is not important. What you think of yourself is what really matters. I also like the book because besides relating to the story of the bible, it can also relate to the unconditional love that a parent gives a child. Eli loved the Punchinello, no matter how many dots that the people of the town had given him. Children like to know that a parent will love them no matter what mistake they make. This type of love can also be represented in the book "Mama, Do You Love Me?" by Barbara Joosse that was discussed in class. In this book the daughter asks mother if she will still have love for her after making many mistakes. The mother answers every question with a response that she will love her daughter forever and always.

The reason my feelings are mixed about the book is because I personally would not want to present this book in my classroom as a future teacher. The strong connection to the Christian beliefs is an unfair topic to discuss in a classroom that may have students that come from different religious backgrounds. If I were to use this book in the classroom, I would also present books that describe beliefs of Islam, Judaism, and other religions. Diversity is important in the classroom. And although I believe that this book may give a child a good outlook on the world, I don't know if it serves a purpose in the classroom.

Anonymous said...

Putting all of the religious ideas aside, I think this is an amazing story. I had never heard it before I read this article but now I wish that I had. I believe that whether you read this in a classroom or not is a personal decision. How strongly you feel about its relation to God is also a personal opinion. The overall idea of this story, that everyone is equal, is what is most important here. Today's society has proved to be extremely harsh, especially at such a young age. Growing up, teens are constantly surrounded by the beautiful actors and actresses as well as the drop dead models that they see in the movies and in magazines. While some of their peers may be near the top of the social hierarchy that IS middle school, they might find themselves closer to the bottom. I can see the stars representing the praise and attention these "beautiful" teens receive, while the gray dots represent the jokes and the teasing that the "less than beautiful" teens endure. 'You Are Beautiful' is a story that has the ability to reassure these teenagers that life is not all about the way you look. Judgments are merely useless ideas and words that ultimately do not matter. In general, I feel that everyone should should be treated as equals. Therefore, I would recommend this story to any child going through what may be considered the roughest stages of life.