Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

During our January 20th class, we discussed what a "good blog" consists of, and I was able to come up with a few ideas. However, I must confess that before this class, I hated the idea of blogging. The second someone said the word "blog" my thoughts traveled to the world of MySpace and Live-Journal, the places where teens and teenyboppers complain about their lives and gossip about kids at their school. After reading the two articles about blogging however, I began to realize that blogging was a lot more useful than I originally thought. Blogging, like many other webpages, can be used as a resource for others. Blogs consisting of book reviews are a simple easy way to keep up with new literature. A while ago, learning that elementary school students are getting involved with blogging would have upset me. But with the guidance of teachers and discussions about what makes a "good blog", students can use blogs to communicate with others about subjects that interest them.

There is no doubt in my mind that terrible blogs exist, but I also believe that peoples' reaction to blogging can be improved a great deal and blogging can become a more respectable source of literature. As a future teacher, of course I will encourage my students to use technology. However, I will caution them about the pitfalls of the internet and how to use technology wisely. How will you incorporate technology in your classroom??

3 comments:

Jaclyn Hoover said...

I was very excited when I saw that Laura posted this blog about blogging and blogs in general. I was going to make the same point in one of my blog posts but I am glad Laura got to it first. She made very valid points that I definitely agree with. Before this class I was never required to even look at a blog, so I never did. I always judged the blogging world into this “poetic, diary-type, emotional” society. I looked at blogs as a way for people who didn’t have friends to get attention. This sounds really harsh when I say it out loud but that’s what I honestly felt. I never had an open mind about blogs. After being introduced to the world of blogging I realized it is a great thing. It allows people to put their opinions out there and get unbiased feedback. I love that teachers are starting to use blogs as a way to communicate with their students. Not only does it get messages across fast but it also allows students to voice and respond between each other. I think it is great what we are doing in this class with the blog and respond activity throughout the semester. It really gets students to learn about their classmates as well as themselves and put their opinions on the line to be critiqued.

Chen H said...

I totally agree with you, I had the same thought as you at the beginning of the class, and when the instructor told us we have to post comment on the blog, I thought about we will play some fun and informal stuff though out this. but after I logged in to this blog, my mind get totally changed. I have never think a about that blog can be like this informative, formal and "knowledged". I have to admit that I had a sterotype to the word "Blog". I used to think tha blog is a place that people talk about their "meaningless" personal life, and using abbreviation words in posting. This blog change my way considering the function of blog.

Chen H said...

I really want to say that through this semester, I got a huge improvment in using blog in a right way. I learned how to commenting using a effective method, and now I feel like I can express what I want to say in a more organized and clear way. I was usually typed a lot of abbreviations when I doing the reply before, and now I know how to do a comment more effectively,and clearly. Now I finaly realize how wonderful a successful blog could be.