When I was a younger I was never really never introduced to poetry. I just heard a couple of poems here and there. I always felt that I was never the poet type, until one day I was in middle school. My school was having a book fair. I bought this book called chicken soup for the teen age soul. this one was a lot about poems and the age group was perfect for me. I remember reading this one poem called "kiss" and I read it over and over again. I was fascinated with the idea of kissing I guess??? It was the first time in my life I was reading stories that were so interesting and full of emotion. Then when I got in to high school I stopped reading poems. I never could really wrote poems. I dont think I was ever really shown how... if there is even that perfect way. But now after reading that chapter on poetry. It is more then a good idea to read and or teach a poem but it is crucial for every student to learn how and why some people are good at reading and writing there emotions down. Tomorrow when I have a break Im going to try to write a poem. Maybe I can get on another level when it comes to poetry! Wish me luck!
5 comments:
I had a very similar experience with poetry. I never really read it until elementary school we got to make our own books, but whole book had to be all different types of poetry, from Haiku to non-rhyming poems. We got to write about anything we wanted as long as we followed the certain type of poem criteria. I love it, writing poems was a fun way to express emotions and interest. After writing the book my mom and I went to the book store and bought a punch of poetry book aimed for children. I would read a couple of poems every night and really enjoyed them. However when I got to high school my enjoyment of a poetry began to fad and I haven't really read any sense. Likewise to what you said, after reading the poetry chapter I see just how importation it is for people of all ages to read and write poetry.
Good luck on writing yours!
Its funny that both of you guys like me were excited or at the least, interested but in poetry but as we got older it all fell waist-side. I also remember reading the chicken noodle soups: poem edition books as well as other children poem collections and trying myself to write down my emotions or rhymes onto paper.For some reason as i got older poetry lost its edge for me I no longer could understand it. And the majority of it just didn't make any sense. Hope you have a better go around this time as you dabble in writing poetry!
It's definitely a coincidence that you three, as well as myself, have an interest in poetry, but have found it to fade as we grew older. In elementary and middle school, I remember writing a lot of poems and loving every second of it. I won an award for my poem titled "Harassment", and felt like such a great poet, haha. But when I look back on all of my favorite poems, the majority of them were funny, rhyming poems that I memorized or could relate to. I believe that as children, we are more open minded to the world and less judgmental. This concept reflects in how we view poems now versus how we viewed them as children. Perhaps we were more open to poems and the creativity put into them when we were younger. Some poems now might not spark our interests as adults the way they did ten years ago. Maybe we need to open our minds as we grow older...
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR POEM =)
When I was in middle school and high school we always spent a few weeks studying poetry, and it was always the unit in all my English classes I hated the most. We learned everything from how to write different styles of poetry to how to interpret poems and in some cases how we should read certain poems. To me those four weeks were torture. Personally I don’t value poetry as much as I do books, I like being able to get to know a character and learn about their personality though the different situations the author puts them through. To me a poem is just a teaser, you never really get to know the whole story there is so much that is left to the imagination…it drives me nuts! I don’t have much time to read for my own pleasure now that I am in college but if I am going to read I like there to be characters a setting a plot a theme and some drama. Don’t get me wrong there are some poems that have all these things but most are only a few pages long at maximum, leaving way to much left to the imagination. Maybe it does have something to do with my age and my lack of imagination use or maybe it’s because I have never really read any poetry that has had an impact on me nut I just don’t like it. Now even in college there is just something about the word poetry that makes me want to do that out loud sigh of disgust.
I fall into the same category as above. I have grown away from poetry since about middle school and after reading this chapter, it has been the first time I have revisited what poems really are. It is a valuable learning experience for children, it allows them to see a new style of writing. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a real long story that needs to be written. A poem seems to be able to capture someones emotion at that time. Whether they are on the humorous side or dig a bit deeper into someones personal life. It is interesting to have looked back to days when I did study poetry with a class and see how the experience really was great overall as a student. I do not think I will be spending anytime right now on perfecting my poetry skills but I wish you the best of luck with making poems for yourself.
Post a Comment