There's a Polar Bear
In our Frigidaire--
He likes it 'cause it's cold in there.
With his seat in the meat
And his face in the fish
And his big hairy paws
In the buttery dish,
He's nibbling the noodles,
He's munching the rice,
He's slurping the soda,
He's licking the ice.
And he lets out a roar
If you open the door.
And it gives me a scare
To know he's in there--
That Polary Bear
In our Fridgitydaire.
In our Frigidaire--
He likes it 'cause it's cold in there.
With his seat in the meat
And his face in the fish
And his big hairy paws
In the buttery dish,
He's nibbling the noodles,
He's munching the rice,
He's slurping the soda,
He's licking the ice.
And he lets out a roar
If you open the door.
And it gives me a scare
To know he's in there--
That Polary Bear
In our Fridgitydaire.
All other poetry does not appeal to me however. The reason? My high school english teachers are the biggest factor. Once in high school, my english teachers dove into complicated poems and forced the class to think deeply about the meaning. Many times they did not teach us anything about the author of the poem, and it was difficult for us to understand why the poet was writing something the way they did. For example, if my high school teachers had taught us more about the life of Emily Dickenson, I might have been able to understand her poems a little better. I also feel that it is sometimes best to leave a poem alone. When you analyze a poem to death, I feel that it loses a lot of appeal. The words don't roll off your tongue quite the same way, and there is no mystery left in the verses. There are definitely benefits to understanding a poem, you can find things that you never would have noticed at a glance. But there is a fine line between understanding and enriching a poem, and picking apart a poem until there is nothing left to enjoy.
6 comments:
i agree with you. a lot of teachers don't teach you how to enjoy poems. like Todd said in class, you have a 3-week unit on poems...everyone (even people who love poetry like me) dreads it...and then the class never talks about it again. I would encourage you to look into different types of poetry. I like Emily Dickinson, don't get me wrong, but just because something is considered a classic doesn't make it the best. I personally love performance poetry and free-verse. If you're interested, check out these links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnxJdxhU7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRBw-Pvd9M8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5EI9Gv3Oc8
http://everything2.com/user/deep%20thought/writeups/Brief+perfection
I totally agree with you, my high school English teachers made me dislike poetry as well. In elementary school poetry seemed so easy and fun. Once we started reading Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman, I found it very confusing and was not interested in poetry as well. I strongly agree with the idea that if we were taught poetry over a longer period of time, rather than just a set unit, i would probably enjoy it more. Also, if we examined different types of poetry rather than the classics, that at times seemed out dated, i believe more people would appreciate poetry as well.
I totally agree with you. I loved poetry in elementary school my fifth grade teacher would read it aloud and I love to listen to the tricky tongue twisters. I really enjoyed poetry until I was forced to spend hours upon hours analyzing it. I definitely think that there is a point between reading something closely to try and understand it and analyzing something to death. I also run into this problem with novels. I will read something and enjoy it and then we will have a two hour long debate about what the author meant by this and that in class. For a while I find this interesting and then it just begins to bore me. I like to be able to imagine what I think an author means when writing a certain piece and using certain words. Other people opinons are nice sometimes but others I just want to be able to read something for class and not analyze it to death. Dose anyone else feel this way? Like we read things for classes and spend way to much time analyzing every detail? If you do not feel that way why not?
I am also a victim of disliking poetry due to classes I have taken during middle and high school. I always knew poetry as a difficult topic to write due to specific rules for number of stanzas, syllables, and rhythmic patterns. Hence, writing poetry was my biggest challenge and disliked the topic in English classes. Moreover, I also did not know why we had to analyze so deeply into the meanings of each words the author had chosen to write his/her poem.
I believe it is the readers’ own interpretation in understanding poems apart from the author’s intentions and meanings behind writing. Wouldn’t it be readers’ choice and importance of choosing how they want to understand poetries? And readers decide to remember certain poetries as their favorite not considering why the author had chosen to write. Hence, how readers understood poetries seem more important than analyzing how poetries were written.
Yeah I totally agree with you guys. Surprisingly during my high school year I only have been exposed to poems ONCE which was not really talking about poems but it was just one part of a project that we had to write a poem about myself that we had to do for our autobiography. So during the high school I didn’t really learn anything about poems. During the middle school, I learned that poems have rules to write and usually have rhyming words and so on. Because I wasn’t exposed to poems during my life, I really have hard time to understand or get actual meaning of the poem since its not straight forward to the point. I also think it would be better if we had more time to learn and talk about poems more often during middle school and high school. This would help students to get more familiar with the concept of poem.
I had similar experiences to everyone here. In high school, I had one maybe two units on poetry. Instead of focusing on the beauty of poetry it was on the how to analyze it. I remember taking a poem by Robert Frost and dissecting it to death. Yes, I felt like I figured out what he meant in a few lines, but as a whole, the meaning was lost for me. I didn't get what, I am sure, Robert Frost wanted me to get out of it. I think poetry needs to be taught more in elementary, middle and high school, but a different approach needs to be taken. Maybe there should be a class such as Poetry Appreciation, where students can explore different, more modern types of poetry. Because lets face it, a lot of times what classic poetry refers to has nothing to do with the life we are living now. I believe more students would get more out of poetry if there was a different approach and a purpose for it.
Post a Comment