In his book Tuesday, he shows that a ordinary day can become extraordinary and frogs can fly. He shows them flying around a sleepy town. What makes this book especially interesting is the lack of words. You have a page telling you it's Tuesday night and after that it's a silent picture book. I think this is amazing because it allows you to have a lot of dialog with the children reading the book.
Another of his books, Flotsam, explores the depths of the ocean. In another silent book a child finds an underwater camera that captures the creatures living there in ways not seen before. There are mechanical fish as well as families of octopi lounging in armchairs on the ocean floor.
These books are only three of the books in which David Wiesner changes things up and makes you look at the world through different eyes. I think that reading these books has made me think more about simple things. I also thought about how there might be a reason The Three Pigs had words when so many of them don't. Why do you think this is?
8 comments:
In my opinion Wiesner's books can be described as simplicity at its best! David's books allows us to think outside the box. Not to down play any other children book author or illustrator. But personally alot of the children's literature that we have discussed has been full of politics or hidden messages whether known by the author or not. In some cases I think alot of people try to go out of the way to point out these things, wheether their intentions are good or bad, I'm not sure. But what I do know is every once in awhile I would like to enjoy a story from my childhood that hasn't been tainted and David's book in my opinion did just that.
I especially enjoyed the way he changed the Three Little Pigs, story around and forced readers to be caught off guard. In a way the story allowed me the reader to become the author too! I was able to incorporate my own imagination and ideas of what I thought could be added to the story. Making it a fun read from beginning to end! I think that my eliminating the text it allows children to draw their own conclusions, and add an array of outcomes to such a traditional story. No one ever said that these classic fairy tales had to always end and begin the same and David proves just that.
I really liked how Wiesner let the pigs take over the story, it was a very creative! It was a nice twist on a classic tale of the three pigs. When I first started reading I thought it was the traditional story, however midway through I saw it was not. I haven't read any other books by him so its hard for me to comment on any of those. However, this book did remind me of another book. The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, was a favorite of mine. It tells the same classic story but through the eyes of the wolf. I remember loving to hear the wolfs side of the story when I was little. I think its good for children to be able to read different books from different points of view with the same basic story. It shows children that there is always more than one side to any situation!
I think Wiesner had a very good idea by telling the story of the 3 pigs in this way. I believe it allows and almost forces children to use their imaginations while reading this book. I really liked how the pigs were able to take control of their story and overcome the wolf. I related this as symbolism that stood for people who are able to stand up for themselves and overcome oppression.
At first I was skeptical of this book because it seemed weird and sort of uneventful. But as I kept thinking about it, I realized the genius behind it. Today, it seems that there are only so many ways to tell a children's story. Wiesner come up with a completely original idea with brilliant illustrations to accompany it. I'm really glad I got the chance to read this book and I will definitely be reading it to my future students.
The Three Pigs was an extremely creative book. Wiesner did an excellent job making the reader believe that this was the original "Three Little Pigs", but then it morphed into an entirely new story! The point of this edited classic is to explore points of view and imagination. It is really interesting to read the same story from different perspectives. I, along with Rose, really enjoyed the Wolf's version of the Three Little Pigs because it was fun, creative, and it taught me something new... that things aren't always "black and white", they are "gray", meaning that there is more than one side to every story. This is a very important lesson for children to learn and understand. Wiesner does a great job of emphasizing this concept.
You taught me that Wiesner creatres picture books without any text, which I believe is a very effective tool for broadening children's imagination. With detailed pictures but no words, children can create their own plots and can interpret the story in ways that are meaningful to them.
Using your imagination is something that I think is extremely important for children. Not only does it allow them to explore different ideas and situations, but is also gives them a feeling of importance--that they have the power to make something happen. David Wiesner's lack of text within his books might be frustrating for adults but is ultimately enjoyable for many children.
I believe that my love for books is a direct result of the significant amount of time my mom spent reading to me as a child. The children I babysit for are always read to before they go to bed. This is something I find to be very important. Therefore, when I babysit, I get to read the kids the same books their parents read to them every night. Madison has a specific book that she loves. The only difference about this book is that it doesn't have any text. Similar to Wiesner's books, this allows me to use my imagination when reading. Madison can can also add as much to the story as she pleases seeing as how there is nothing to stop her. With no text, the kids can hear a different story every time they read the same book. I think that is so awesome!
Wiesner takes simple ideas and gives the reader the power. With illustrations to guide the way, we have the opportunity to make a book our own.
I really enjoyed reading Wiesner’s the three pigs because it was totally different from the traditional story of the three pigs. When I begin to read the Wiesner’s the three pigs, I thought it was the classic tale of the three pigs. Thus, it was a completely different story after reading few pages. It was a very creative and unique that I never have imagined that the three pigs will take over the story. The original story of the three little pigs was one of the few children’s picture books that I remember until now. By reading the three little pigs from different view point gave me a fresh idea of the story. Therefore I think it will be also great for children to read Wiesner’s the three pigs because it will give chance to look at different point of view of the story and would force children to use their imaginations to read this book since it is extremely different from original version.
The Three Pigs includes more words than other books the author has written, Tuesday and Flotsam due to its uniqueness apart from the traditional story, Three Little Pigs. The author has done a great job in transforming the folktale into a creative story of having readers experience different kind of reads. Who would have guessed that characters could jump out of their pages and explore other folktales? Inclusion of various surprises within this book, I believe the author decided to add more words to guide readers in interpreting his intentions of writing this particular book.
Wordless book like Tuesday and Flotsam depicts how the author has given choices to the readers’ in coming up with a creative story on their own by solely observing illustrations. I believe this is a great way of having young readers develop their creativity! More discussion topics are available with readers since no words of hints are written.
I really like the way that Wiesner shows us the world. He is trying to reverse the role of readers and authors by giving the reader the power to rethink and recreate the story. In the book The Three Pigs, it is pretty obvious that Wiesner is trying to break the "rules", that is, a story should be or supposed to be like something. He is trying to jump out of the frame and telling us: Hey, see! things could also be like these... the same world may seen as different thru different people, just let your mind be free and don;t forget your imagination and creativity, everything is possible.
Post a Comment