Sunday, October 11, 2009

Poetry in The Bible

Last class, someone mentioned that she thought of The Bible when she thought of poetry. There really is a lot of poetry in The Bible, and I just thought I would point out what books of The Bible contain some of it.

The books of The Bible that are considered to be the poetic books are:
-Job
-Psalms
-Proverbs
-Ecclesiastes
-Song of Songs

Even though these are the only books of The Bible considered to be the poetic books, many of the books still have some poetry in them. There are only seven books in the Old Testament that do not have any poetry in them.

http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/we_dig_montana/Poetry.html

http://www.biblegateway.com/

I think it is cool that there is poetry in The Bible because it shows how poetry can teach us lessons and how poetry is important because it is in The Bible, and The Bible was inspired by God.

What is some other poetry you have read that taught you a lesson? Do you think you would like poetry more if it did teach you a lesson? How do you think poetry in The Bible is different from other poetry you would read?

2 comments:

Kelesha said...

I definitely think that poetry that teaches a lesson or poetry that is inspirational is more enjoyable for me. I hate reading poetry that is too abstract to understand because I lose interest if I cannot figure out what the poet's message is.

Some poets that I have read that I enjoyed because it their poems inspired me or taught me something are Langston Hughes, Thoreau, Robert Frost and Maya Angelou. I liked their poems so much because they were not overly complicated and they had a clear message.

I think poetry from the Bible is different from other poetry I have read because it has complex language but the messages in biblical poems are not overly complicated. I think that it would be better for me to understand biblical poetry by reading it from a new revised version of the Bible because it is easier for me to understand regular English and not the old English that is used in the Kings James Version.

Jenna Banish said...

I definitely consider myself a christian, however I cannot say that I do or have read a lot of the bible. When I was younger my parents put me in Sunday school and we attended church as a family on a pretty regular basis. The one bible verse that has always stuck out to me is definitely, in my opinion a form of poetry, the verse is first Corinthians 13:1-
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails....And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Growing up, I remember this verse being hung in a frame in my house, and now is in my own apartment and "faith, hope, love" is tattooed on my body. I think it teaches people what love means. Personally I feel like a lot of people in this world have a false idea of what love actually is; many settle for less. This biblical verse/form of poetry is one that I live my life by.