Then turn around and run in the exact opposite direction.
I'm speaking up for every kid- nay, human being- that believes in the power of a happy ending. I'm speaking against every person who has become bitter and cynical and seeks to pulverize the fun and innocence out fairy tales by being overly critical and realistic. Like, really, you can't hate on the The Little Mermaid. That's like stepping on a little kitten on national television (yeah, Kanye West, I'm looking at you).
What is a fairy tale? Let's peak at what Literature and the Child says- "Fairy Tales are magical narratives replete with supernatural beings, suck as trolls, ogres, dragons, elves, and fairies..." Ogres? Supernatural. Fairies? Magical. Then big bad Linda Christensen stepped into the four square, swatted away the ball, and declared fairy tales and folklore "instruct(ing) students to accept the world as it is portrayed." Accept the world as it is portrayed? Last I checked, there is no five-foot-two mermaid dancing around in the Red Cedar giggling with a little blowfish...but it is the Red Cedar so I guess stranger things have happened.
Regardless, it's not the world as it is portrayed. It's the Cave of Wonders where Aladdin flies around on a magic carpet. It's Sleeping Beauty dancing around with an owl in a cape, Belle having a big house party with a bunch of fine silverware, and Krunk singing his own theme music again. It's the magic of Disney, good conquers evil, and for all intensive purposes and sentimental embroidered pillow cases at grandmas' houses worldwide, it's the power of believing.
There will be no white flag above my door, Christensen.
But if you want to find me, I'll be at the second star on the left straight on 'till morning waiting with a crocodile with a clock in its stomach and a mob of dwarfs ready to show you what's up.
The end.
11 comments:
I'm pretty sure you completely misunderstood the purpose of her article. She's saying, like we've been discussing in class, that these books and movies have implicit meanings that can be taken from them. She's not saying that these fantastical movies are direct portrayals of reality. The funny part is is that in arguing your point you proved hers. You said that Disney movies are all about good vs. evil and how good always wins. That right there is proving her point. From watching these movies you've learned that good is supposed to defeat evil. The "secret education" has gotten to you. I think that what she is saying is valid, and it has been reinforced by our discussion in class. These stories, whether told through movies or cartoons or books , have implicit meanings. They portray women in particular roles, they portray minorities in certain ways, or they do something as simple as tell you that no matter how much you do wrong your mother will always love you.
Look, you had a good arguement, and ima let you finish, but Linda Christensen's arguement was the best arguement ever.
Not really, but it was pretty good.
I agree and disagree with you. I like Disney movies and stories, and I will show them to my kids. But maybe because I am an urban education major, and this is something that I have discussed in classes many times, I just think that the implicit meaning of these stories sometimes are misleading. I mean children do pick up on the littlest things. What exactly are children learning from these stories?
Disney movies are made to entertain children and I think that's all they do. I don't think that these children movies have any real influence on how kids see different people or create any stereotypes. Stereotypes and things are all around us in all media yes but it's what you learn in school or from your family that really influences you when you are growing up.
Linda Christensen in the article looked way too far into things. No one seemed to notice things in these children movies until she pointed them out. I feel that people can create these certain ideas out of something people didn't mean to do. I am an advertising major in this class and I have heard examples in all of my classes how people think the creators made a hidden message but no one can ever prove it works or that someone meant to hide something. I think people can find things like hidden things in movies or ads but I don't think they are influencing us in anyway.
To respond to WeighterMSU, what’s wrong with good triumphing over evil? I mean, I thought that was why we have police and laws and things like that. I know that bad things happen in this world, but generally in our society we love the good and try to get rid of the bad. So in that sense, I think that books and movies with the theme of good versus evil are correctly portraying our society. I understand if you were trying to make the point that it is not always so clear cut, that sometimes good and evil are mixed. At the same time, I think that the general message of good triumphing over evil is an excellent theme for children’s books and movies, one that reflects the values of our society.
I do realize that there are different biases in these movies, but I agree with Stephanie that they probably were not put there intentionally. I also think that most of that stuff will go right over kids’ heads. There are a bunch of comments in the movies that are meant for adults and do not make sense to kids, so why wouldn’t it be the same way with biases in the movies? I know that I never thought about most of the things mentioned in the article when I was younger.
So what should our reaction be to movies with bias in them, like Aladdin? Should we lock them away forever? I don’t think so. I agree with what Todd said in class, that we should show these movies to kids and be sure to explain things to them so that they do not get the wrong idea. If you notice a child watching a movie with a Disney princess, afterwards explain that no one in real life is that skinny. If a kid is watching Aladdin, ask them if they know what people who live in the Middle East really look like. In either case, instead of taking away from the child’s innocent pleasure by telling them how horrible the movie is or that they should not watch it, you will be turning it into a learning opportunity. I do not feel like it is really important for children to know all the bias contained in movies, but as adults we should know where bias is found and be able to guide children towards a correct understanding.
I think I'd have to agree with the majority of everyone's comments. As you clearly stated in your argument, Disney is not out to sabotage any little child and put them place them in a stereotypical mold.
Fairy tales are just what they are, a magical narrative with fairies, dragons etc., provided to evoke a sense of imagination in young children. I don't think Walt Disney had the intention of creating stories that depicted its characters in a stereotypical way.
Linda Christensen's article however does show some very truthful and disturbing messages that can be singled out in some of our favorite childhood movies. I do think she goes to some extremes in saying that we need to ban these movies or prevent are children from watching them. I know personally as a child I NEVER picked up on any of these underlying messages, and until coming to college I now see what people have been so angry about.
Yes I think it’s wrong, and stereotypical, but I also think we need to just let it go. It is what it is. Stereotypes are all around us we discussed that in class, and there is no way we will ever escape them. It is just some hard facts of the world/society that we have to deal with while being on this planet. But I think both authors make compelling arguments, but I think it’s just a subject people are going to have to just need to agree to disagree.
Yes, the point of Laura's article was to show that stereotypes, ideas of gender roles, and racism are set in at a young age, and enhanced by corporations like Disney that produce movies for young children that they not only enjoy, but are influenced by. WIth these movies, children pick up on the ideas that girls need to be have the perfect look to land their dream guy, and that guys need to be strong, outgoing, and courageous to be able to win the heart of the girl. But I also believe that we look too much into these kinds of things because we can. With adult minds, we look into these things and analyze things more than children could possibly do. But, the point of the article was to make people aware that Disney does produce stereotypical products, and in order to help create a generation in which stereotypes are less abundant, we need to stop enforcing them when kids are so young.
While you all make good points I can see where Linda is coming from. No Disney is not out to corrupt our children, but they do have hidden messages within their films that afffect our kids. Should old movies be remade? No. Should we conciously check the messages we are sending in future movies? Probably.
I was telling my friend this weekend how passionate I am, about how pro-Disney my life is. Maybe because it's my favorite brand in the world, maybe because I love Glenn Keane (the chief artist for Little Mermaid), or maybe just because I can quote the lyrics from any song from any Disney movie in about five seconds flat.
But she was like, what exactly is Disney for? There is no moral of the story, there is no lesson. All it is is a bunch of impossibly skinny girls and half naked men running around forests and castles.
Maybe it's the kid in me, but- say what? How about good conquers all? Follow your own path in life?
When we were kids we didn't love the princesses because they were unrealistically skinny. No girl on the playground was like, "I love Aurora. She is SO skinny!" No. It was more, "I love Aurora. My favorite color is pink! Her dress is so pretty!" I agree with most everyone else, adults read way too much into things because we can.
Like I said in class, just because I saw Aladdin I did not expect to go to some middle eastern country (first of all, Agraba is not even a real place anyways) and find a whole bunch of Jazmine's running around for the same reason I don't expect to see a super skyway full of flying carpets. Yes, they used stereotypes- but they are not stereotypes that Disney themselves created. If you have a real problem with it, look at society. Disney is just a manifestation of the thoughts and beliefs of the time. They are tools used to quickly communicate an environment, a story, a mystique.
After all, it's a fairy tale. Nobody said this was real life, and Disney never pretended too. I completely agree, perhaps after the movies explain some of the elements to children. But, I plead, do not overanalyze it for you are completely shredding the charm and magic produced by these movies.
If books can help you escape into imaginary worlds- why can't Disney? Like I said, it's Disney people. Not the devil.
I do agree that way too many people look into Disney movies. I swear I have every Disney movie and have been watching them since I was little. I know that when I was watching Disney movies I never let the underlying message influence me. I don't think that is Disney's intention either. I think that Disney movies are made for the entertainment of children and that is it.
I do not believe that disney is out to corrupt the young minds of children. The Walt Disney corporation is a business....and like a business they are out to do one thing and one thing only. MAKE MONEY. I do agree that the portrayals of many of the characters in Disney movies are suspect, especially in older Disney movies, but im guessing most of us have seen our fair share of Disney movies in our past, i know i have, and they have not made me a racist. i believe anyone and everyone who believes these movies affect our childrens minds more negatively than other cartoons is crazy. Disney must be doing something right, considering Walt Disney Company has an annual revenues of approximately U.S. $35 billion and fifty-nine Academy Award nominations and won twenty-six Oscars, including a record four in one year.
Walt Disney
Walt Disney Company
I completely hear you.Sure, I can see some of Christensen's points, all the same stuff we've heard before about the pretty women needing to be saved and all that.
But do we really have to get super analytical with all these Disney movies and cartoons?
I'll tell you what I learned from Disney movies- nothing. I was entertained. It was my parents that taught me what I know about life now. Though these movies might have implicit messages, I think that most kids just enjoy them- minus the insecurities about being pretty or the thought that only white people can be the hero. Maybe parents and educators should be more mindful when it comes to exposing their children to diversity and portrayals of gender roles and all that good stuff.
If we entertain our children with more than just Disney movies, maybe then we can avoid this so-called "Secret Education" and stop worrying about all the little details about the way life is that children supposedly learn and take with them into their futures.
Post a Comment