I just finished reading Markus Zusak's The Book Thief this morning. I woke up, reached over and grabbed the book, and finished the last 84 pages all before breakfast. Afterwards, I realized how much I was into The Book Thief because in my daily schedule, nothing EVER comes before breakfast. I even read all of the text after the actual story; something I have never even considered doing. I couldn't get enough. I've had a busy past couple weeks and haven't had the time to sit down and read a majority of the book at once, like I wanted to, but I think this added to the importance of every page. I even got into an argument with my girlfriend because I made her drive (she hates driving on the freeway) for an hour on the way home from Alabama because I had to know why the Stieners would regret not letting Rudy go with the two Nazi officials. I got a lot out of this book and this book also got a lot out of me...
Time: I have not been much of a reader post-elementary school. I didn't quite understand the benefits of reading. Books were like poisonous, time-sucking monsters that would keep me from doing other activities. If my life depended on reading a 550 page book while I was in high school, I wouldn't be here to write this right now. I have always wondered why I stopped reading the Harry Potter books after 350 pages into the fourth one, but know I know that I had simple reached my limit. However, I have since changed my ways and a 550 page book seemed like an attractive challenge. It certainly took time from me but it was time well spent. I now have a new personal record and an amazing book in my memory as well.
Emotion: Oh, man. My feelings were stirred throughout much of the book. I was sympathetic when Liesel's brother died and she was taken from her mother. I was moved when Hans Huberman sat with his foster-daughter and taught her to read. I laughed when I read about Rudy's Jesse Owens "incident." I was furious when I heard how the soldiers treated the Jews. But it was the ending of the book that had no regard whatsoever for my feelings. I mean, Lisel holding Rudy, finally giving him the kiss that he had always yearned for but was not alive to react to...could it be any more sad!? Apparently so because Zusak also threw in the discovery of Hans and Rosa's bodies as well and the accompanying sorrow that came with it. I didn't care that there was no real Liesel Meminger, I was devastated. But I guess I'd be a fool if I thought that a book with the setting of Germany during WWII would be a chippy bouquet of happiness.
Reapproach: I love history and reading this book triggered new thoughts in my head about the Holocaust and Nazi Germany. That term, "Nazi Germany," certainly has a certain stigma to it. Very rarely do sentences that contain that phrase produce happy thoughts. However, this book opened me up to the citizens of Nazi Germany. It taught me that all of them were bad people. I'm sure there were plenty of Hans Hubermans out there. It couldn't have been easy to be an un-brainwashed German and have to watch hundreds, maybe thousands of Jews being paraded down the street. My view of Nazi Germany has certainly been shifted. It is no longer one terrifying evil, but rather a state of citizens in which some of its own were victimized.
So what did you think of this book? Which did it do more for you, give or take?
Updates, new dates, more...
-
So, in the last post I noted that i had broken my shoulder. I had surgery
in December (finally) and am now finishing up my physical therapy. I am
back to w...
6 years ago
4 comments:
I also thought this book was amazing. I did not set it down until it was finished! What did I get out of this book, you ask?
Insight: I LOVE history, especially history relating to World War II. Throughout my college career, I have studied this time period extensively. What I did not notice until after reading this book is the perspective from which I have learned about this war from. I’m used to the pro-Allies perspective and have learned mostly about the American efforts during the war. Although I have learned somewhat (through the diary of Anne Frank) about Nazi Germany, never have I ever had such a compelling insight to those who resisted the Nazi efforts in Germany. This perspective was so intriguing for me as a historical reference almost more than anything and I now wish to further research the Nazi resistance aspect of World War II.
Inspiration: Like you, I had not taken the time to read many books that were more that a couple hundred pages, and to be honest with you I really haven't ENJOYED reading in a long time. This was the first really long book I have read in a long, long time and I am so glad that it was this book that I read. It was so moving, touching, sad, happy... every emotion that you could think of. But what this book did most for me was remind me not to judge a book by its cover! Just because it was called "The Book Thief" and was 550 pages long didn't mean that I wouldn't enjoy it! I LOVED IT! It has inspired me to read more for pleasure, as well. Reading can be enjoyable, and this book reminded me just how enjoyable it was.
I too was upset by the ending. I had grown to love these characters and think of myself or people I knew when I read about them. So to me when they died I thought of myself, my father, my friend. I was also so angry that Hans had cheated two wars only to die at home. It seemed unfair. Though I suppose that's what the book was trying for. I ended up crying by the end. I too love historical fiction. I have read a lot pertaining to the Jewish side but never any from the other side. It was very interesting to see a different viewpoint.
I had heard from many people that "The Book Thief" was not such a fabulous book. I chose not to believe this, as I have always had a habit of liking things others do not. Classes, professors, movies...I have always had opposite opinions from many other people my age. Sure enough, reading "The Book Thief" was no different. I took a lot from this book.
I am extremely happy that I was forced to sit down and read. I have always enjoyed pleasure reading but have found that college can make this an extremely difficult task. Knowing that I had to read "The Book Thief" for a class made it so I could sit down without guilt and enjoy a story.
World War II has always been one of my absolute favorite topics to read about. Although it can be extremely depressing and heart-wrenching at times, I always get so much out of it. Reading "The Book Thief" reminded me just how lucky I am to be living the life that I do. Seeing all of the struggles Liesel had to live through and experience at such a young age makes me so thankful for the people and things that I have in my life.
This book was also the first book I have read from the perspective of a German during the time of the war. Many of the books I have read about WWII have revolved around a Jewish person fighting to survive. Seeing a German family who felt sympathy for the Jewish people and fought to protect them gave me hope. It made me realize that at such a horrible time in history, there were still people with heart who believed that the extermination of a specific race was wrong.
Although the book did not end the way I would have liked it to, I was still left with a positive feeling. Knowing that people such as Liesel and Hans may have existed left me feeling hopeful. Even at a time when everything is falling apart, happiness and selflessness are still achievable.
Post a Comment