Yes, I finally watched Music and Lyrics.
No,
I'm not going to write a review on it, no worries.
But something did strike me, most poignantly as a pop star named Cora Coleman slinked and slithered her way around a buddhist temple while grinding on hard bodied monks and pleading for her "Buddha's Delight." No, it was not that Buddha apparently had a vested interest in the appetite of an oversexed Coleman, or even that her manager was the guy from Glee (who knew?). No, it was just as I was tapping my toes and feeling the tinge of a hip swivel that my roommate said,
"God, she is worthless."
Ok, I get it. Singing about exploring all your fantasies tonight isn't exactly going to garner her a Grammy (and, indeed, she won't as she's not even real). But, is she really worthless? I have to ask myself this as, even now, I write this while listening to the same song on YouTube. And, somehow in my mind, I related this to children's literature.
No, not that we need more explorations into religion. More so the question that, does everything need to have some deep meaning? Does every song or literature piece have to have some redeeming societal or educational value? Does that really matter to people all that much? Because, to me, there's something completely brilliant about the simple and shallow. It's a minimal, non-pretentious way to- dare I say it- entertain. If Cora can entertain me and get my toe tappin', is she worthless? Because being happy and enjoying life, as brought through the song, doesn't sound so worthless to me.
Can children's lit be the same? Does it always have to have a educational value? Does it always have to have deep meanings and life lessons? Not that we need to teach kids to get down with their local monk, but is there something to be said for just letting kids be kids, not a care in the world, and give them something that inspires pure unadulterated joy?
I'm sure there is, but in the meantime, shake on my peeps.
1 comment:
First off, I really love your style of writing--you should take up journalism or something!
Secondly, I completely agree with what you're saying--we don't allow kids to simply be kids anymore. And by we, I mean society. In the fast paced, consumer-driven world we live in its almost as if there's no difference between a 7 year old and a 17 year old. Kids are being pushed to hard in school, sports, etc. What happened to the days of "finish this math worksheet for homework" then go play outside til the street lights come on?
While this class has taught me a lot about children's literature, I'm also getting a view into our future educators minds. I understand education and dealing with children is a huge deal, and demands a lot of attention...but is it really worth reading so far into things? I doubt my child is going to become a racist nazi because their teacher showed them a Disney video. Nor do I think that every little girl that watched Hannah Montana is going to become a prostitute. Teachers need to take a small step back and put a little faith in parents for once.
Post a Comment