

Interesting story from NPR story about the creative uses of graphic novels.
This blog will be a class space for announcements, resources, and conversation. The authors of this blog include students in one section of TE 348 - Reading and Responding to Children's and Adolescent Literature (taught by Todd Ide). We welcome outside comments!
5 comments:
Todd I think this idea for teaching science is awesome. Science was torture for me, and if someone had broken it down for me in language I understood, or in a medium that was relevant to me, it would have been so much easier, and perhaps sparked more of my interest.
I think teaching subjects such as science or biology through the use of graphic novels is an excellent idea, but I think they would be best used as a reinforcement tool. Using the graphic novels would be a great way of tying concepts and ideas together so that when it is time for your students to apply that given concept, that have a clear picture painted in their mind that they would be able to easily apply or replicate.
I agree with Brian. In biology it was always helpful to have pictures. I think graphic novels could help a lot because you could follow the panels easily, and understand the process. Also captions accompanying that explain it would be very helpful. It is always a great idea to try to make science more interesting kids. Teachers could even have students create their own graphic novels explaining different concepts in science. This would help them see if they really understand the concept or not.
This is an awesome idea. It really makes the subject interesting, rather than reading an article full of long, complicated words that most people don't understand. If I was taught this way, maybe I would've been able to go into a science related field like I initially wanted too. Man, to be young again...
I am currently taking a biology class, and I was asked to log on to 'sciencefridays.com' and listen to a radio topic that was of interest to me and write a paper on it. While looking on this website, I came across a topic titled 'Comic Book teaches genetics, biology'. I looked and saw that it was the exact graphic novel that Todd used as an example on our blog. The radio cast is actually an interview with Mark Shultz, the author of the graphic novel "The Stuff of Life", which was written to teach middle and high school students about the sciences through both text and illustrations. If you are interested, the interview with Shultz can be heard at:
http://www.sciencefriday.com/streaming.html, then click on the 'Archives' tab and look for the article titled "Comic Book teaches genetics, biology".
Post a Comment